Do any suspension forks have mudguard mounts at all?

HypnoToad

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I have some rigid DMR forks which have the mudguard eyelets, and some god awful Zoom forks also, but I can't find any decent suspension forks which have mudguard eyelets, does anyone know of any?

Thanks

It's virtually unheard of because affixing mudguards adds to unsprung weight and compromises fork performance. You can buy special mudguards to fit squidger forks to expedition bikes and the like.

Ok, I guess my 80mm zoom forks are the exception to the rule.

They are on their last legs and I'm running pretty wide tyres and the SKS chromoplastic are the only mudguards that clear the tyres.

I'm gonna give the rigid forks a go and see how they are, this is for a commuter so they will probably be fine. :)

Ok, rigid it is, no off-road on my commute, just a few potholes.

Just got to get the crown race off the Zoom forks, anyone have any top tips?

Thanks

Try a Crown Race Removal Tool?

ice-toolz-crown-race-remover-47041.jpg

Or what I have done in the past.... Large flat bladed screwdriver, and a big hammer. Once the race has moved a little bit further up the steerer it should slide off easily enough.
Just be careful not to damage the bearing surface at all.

crown.jpg

I didn't even know that those tools existed, I used a hammer and a stanley knife blade to start it off, then a screwdriver, and I've now got it off without damaging the crown race, thanks.

In fact I'm quite looking forward to see how it feels having a rigid mtb again, even if it will rarely go off road. :)

It's even more fun riding it off-road - especially the bits where you honk it up hills and overtake all those people in their spangly Specialized full sussers!

Some of the older marzocchi forks had a mount built into the crown for a dedicated mud guard, not sure if modern ones do anymore.

Back