Digital Torque Wrench

julesg007

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been mulling over the idea of getting one for when I eventually get round to building up the bike as practically all of the nuts and bolts need tightening to exact torques.

Seen a model make by Clarke, the Pro235 model with a range of 3-20NM, which at around £80ish is a big saving over say the Topeak D-Torq which is around £160!

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

I use a snap on tech angle for work and they're awesome, ranges from 6-136nm and does angles! Probably a bit overkill for a bike although I use it on mine.
Would imagine the draper etc ones would be fine, what about a normal torque wrench?, less to go wrong

No real need for digital IME, it won't make it any more accurate. For that money I'd go for a Norbar, by far the best torque wrenches I've used and as much as I like Snap On tools I didn't really like their torque wrenches, the click is a bit wishy washy. Britool also make some nice ones too.

Same as that really, I've got a Clarke torque wrench that cost about £20 yrs ago, every time it's calibrated it's already bang on! The ratchet on its a bit pants but it ultimately it does the same job as my wrench that cost about 10 times as much

You don't need a digital torque wrench, maybe look at something like the BBB, x-tools, or Cyclo torque wrench kits, they seem to do from 2-20Nm which should be enough for most things on a bike. The only real areas that require more torque are things like bottom brackets or cranks.
I've used the x-tools wrench and it's been fine.

Surely in this day and age it should be possible to have one that takes video of the item being tightened, and sends it to your iPad over wi fi?

I am guessing the bike in question has a heap of carbon?

jimo746":j6atdskm said:
You don't need a digital torque wrench, maybe look at something like the BBB, x-tools, or Cyclo torque wrench kits, they seem to do from 2-20Nm which should be enough for most things on a bike. The only real areas that require more torque are things like bottom brackets or cranks.
I've used the x-tools wrench and it's been fine.

These seem like they are actually affordable - thank you!

Back