Play in front hub?

BertR00t

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got a Hope Bulb running at 20mm on a Mavic 721 rim. Rim is straight and spokes all good but I have some play in the front hub. Have removed the circlips that hold the 20mm bits in place and regeased the bearings then reseated the clips but there is some play in the hub.

Any ideas how to sort this? Only started happening in the last week and would prefer not to have to replace the hub as I have no skills in wheel building.

BertR00t":cujn99d2 said:
Got a Hope Bulb running at 20mm on a Mavic 721 rim. Rim is straight and spokes all good but I have some play in the front hub. Have removed the circlips that hold the 20mm bits in place and regeased the bearings then reseated the clips but there is some play in the hub.

Any ideas how to sort this? Only started happening in the last week and would prefer not to have to replace the hub as I have no skills in wheel building.

If it's side to side play, then it sounds like you need new bearings to me. The Bulb has the same FRONT HUB bearings as the Pro 2 (the rear bearings are different) so if you pick up a Pro 2 bearing kit, it will fit. You'll need to drift the old bearings out, and then drift the new ones back in. It's simple enough to do.

Alternatively, you can take a look at the bearings and make a note of the serial number (it'll be embossed on the bearing seal and it'll be something like 6802RS or similar). Then it's simply a case of ordering the same bearing(s) from any bearing supplier. This will work out cheaper that buying the dedicated Hope bearing kit.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers Barney. Never done the bearings in a hub before but looking at them from the outside they looked in good nick. The non brake side seemed to be a little loose but the brake side was fine. Popped the clip back on and seemed tighter but now not so.

What is the best way of approaching this?

BertR00t":2m3mbu5q said:
Cheers Barney. Never done the bearings in a hub before but looking at them from the outside they looked in good nick. The non brake side seemed to be a little loose but the brake side was fine. Popped the clip back on and seemed tighter but now not so.

What is the best way of approaching this?

Well it won't do any harm to replace the bearings anyway, and they're cheap enough :)

You'd need to remove the 20mm adaptors so that you can get access to the bearings. You'd then just need to knock the bearings out from each side of the hub. Then you just knock the replacement bearings back in the same way. It kind of goes without saying, but don't use something which might damage the bearings! Find a length of wood to use as a drift, and a mallett to hit the other end of the wood with ;)

Hmm you make it sound so easy. Will have to give it a go I guess. According to Hope the bearings are 61804 2RS so sure I can source some easily. Ah Merlin have a set of fronts for 14 quid so gone with that. Cheers.

Back