Can anyone ID this frame?

jjgr123

Retro Newbie
I am putting a bike together on the cheap. I found what seems to be a decent frame on ebay, but I do not know the make or model. Please, if anyone could let me know what it is, I would appreciate it.

Also, the seat, stem, back wheel and tire are all temporary! This has a way to go yet...

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 298
i may be wrong but I wouldn't be so sure that it is a decent frame - low end BSO have bottom bracket that is part of the rear triangle, as sold by arogs/tesoc/halfrods. the forks are wasted on that frame.

The frame seems to be of a decent quality, with very good aluminium welding and a weight of around 3.8 lbs. I picked it up for £64 along with the rear shock.

The forks are Vanilla 32s, they were listed under motorbike forks on ebay. As such, very few people saw the auction, and I picked them up for £47.

Thanks for the reply.

Did an image search on Mantis frames, found several similar but not the same, do you have a link to the exact model?

We had one languishing in the found cycles store at work a while ago and I'm afraid that beyond an initial inspection k paid it no more attention. I'm sure I've seen a similar frame design with an Apollo badge on it.

The list of engineering and design deficiencies marks it as a catalogue special - spindly pivot, BB on the swinger making the riders body unsprung mass, pivot way down on an extended part of the frame with no bracing, single pivot so poor axle path with no opportunity for rising rate etc. It really does seem a waste of good forks and shock.

Dont listen to the URT haters, it'll make a decent enough bike with decent shocks such as those you've fitted. Build it, ride it, make up your own mind. I like my Trek Y-frames which are URT and I've owned Giant and Saracen URT Y-frame designs and have not been disapointed with any of them. They dont ride like a non unified rear triangle design but that is not neccesarily a bad thing. Bikes with low pivot points close to bottom bracket will bounce a bit during pedalling regardless of URT or Non URT designs, a good well damped shock can help control this. Try it first !

Back