Magura rim brakes with sanded rims? Good or bad?

HypnoToad

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on using rims with sanded surfaces with magura hs33s?

Will it eat my pads at all?

I managed to pick up a 521cd which had already been sanded and was wonder if it was worth using it or keeping an eye out for an unsanded rim?

Thanks

Here's a photo of the rim sidewall:
CBtq8nVl.jpg

Looks like the previous owner used a file? :?:

Thats what trials riders do to get more bite and old on the rim, but yopurs looks like it ws done by a blindman.

They'll be fine, I used to regularly sand/roughen up my rims when I used Magura's. As mentioned above, it's what the trials riders do to increase the braking strength (along with taking an angle grinder to the rim :shock: ), although it's probably a bit of overkill for Xc use tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1olQsOjPo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1olQsOjPo[/youtube]

On a sanded rim I doubt you'll really notice much of an increase in pad wear, after a few rides you'll find the rim has smoothed off again and will need re-sanding anyway.

Gotcha, thanks, in fact I plan to use this rim on the front of my commuter bike which is a little overkill but if using the rim will smooth out the rim with use then ill just use it and see goes, thanks.

It's a shame this rim was sanded tho as the ceramic coating on these rims was supposed to work well with Magura rim brakes apparently.

As you're going to be using it on the front and you have to build the wheel anyway I'd personally find an unground rim to use. I wouldn't have thought that you'd want the grabiness on a front wheel.

HypnoToad":1n87k60u said:
It's a shame this rim was sanded tho as the ceramic coating on these rims was supposed to work well with Magura rim brakes apparently.

They sanded the ceramic coating off the rim to make the braking better?! :? Now that makes no sense at all :LOL:

sand away all you like - it won't take too long for the pads to polish them smooth..... anmd as said, that looks poorly implemented.

Back