why did my knees hurt after 20 miles?

zetecmk2

Senior Retro Guru
never done it before, but today my right knee hurt a bit behind my knee cap. i presume it's bike set up or age, probably the latter as i've always set my bikes similar.
very race orientated as i used to race xc.....but maybe i need a more upright position now i'm nearly dead :shock:
2013-05-11160923_zps16718c01.jpg

quite an upright position, and my foot is flat on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke....as always!
any ideas?

I had the same thing a couple of years ago, tried all sorts to no avail and eventually found the answer when I saw a physio. With me it turned out to be muscle imbalance between the muscles on either side of my thigh (ive forgotten their names) . The imbalance was causing my knee cap to pull to one side which after 20 miles or so would start to get painful.

The solution was just stretching exercises to loosen up the muscles in my thighs in order to remove the imbalance and it worked a treat. I can give you some details of the exercises if you want to try it for yourself.

I'm having physio on the inner side of my right knee at the moment. Mind you I'd always had fussy knees :). one thing that sometimes gets me is a bit of seatpost slippage - it's worth checking that hasn't happened to you.

Definitely worth seeing a physio asap they are usually very good and even if there is nothing majorly wrong they will be able to suggest some exercises. mine costs me £38 for 1/2 hr or you can get referred by your GP on the NHS if you are in the UK. Unless there is something actually wrong you probably wouldn't need a return visit even.

As above ^^ , probably caused by muscle imbalance which pulls the kneecap outwards.
I suffered from the same thing about 20 years ago, went for physiotherapy and was given some exercises to do which basically consisted of tensing the thigh muscles while the foot was turned inwards as far as possible. I was also recommended a book called "Knee Health - problems, prevention and cure" by Vivian Grisogono.
I'd see a physiotherapist - over here we can self-refer for sports injuries but in the UK you'll probably have to go through your GP, I suppose.
I still have the book, BTW - you're more than welcome to borrow it.

my knee feels fine today.....is it normal to stop aching after2 days? and id love to borrow the book :)

zetecmk2":j2wro28a said:
my knee feels fine today.....is it normal to stop aching after2 days? and id love to borrow the book :)

Mine was like that, although I could notice it going down stairs (going up was fine...).
You're welcome to borrow it and also, if you want your own copy, I see there are a few for sale on Amazon

PM your address if you want a loan of it.

Sports physios are brilliant for this, GP's will tell you to take Ibuprofen. :roll:

Having injured my knee, the physio first of all diagnosed it and then gave me exercises to ensure it never happened again. £30 far better spent on a consultation than bike bits.

Since then I have switched to singlespeeds and aged 8 years, with no further problems.

hamster":179wsn1s said:
Since then I have switched to singlespeeds and aged 8 years, with no further problems.

Singlespeeds are kinder on knees, in my experience, as you typically spend far more time out of the saddle whenever you need power.

Back