Rear Derailleur M972 XTR Shadow vs M953 vs M952

The older 952/3 mechs still work very well by modern standards ~ very lightly sprung so have a nice light action at the lever. This is also a disadvantage at times though.......it takes less in the way of friction and cable contamination to make the shift deteriorate.
The newer 972 mechs have stronger springs, snappier action and are less prone to going off song due to dirt ingress. Also, the Shadow design smooths the cable run, by shortening the lass piece of cable outer, which is a good thing. Shadow has a lower profile, making it less prone to rock strikes too.
Overall, if you want a mech to work and keep working through crap with low maintenance, go 972. If you're more concerned about "period correct", the go 952/3.

i jsut got a 972,, seems to work very well with my old knackered shifters... but, 1 ride which was just a get out and ride thing, 10km on the road and then maybe 3 or 4 km on easy trails, the carbon fibre cage has a big scratch on it like i had thrown it down the trail. Doesn't affect it (i hope) but it is not exactly looking like it is a very long lasting thing.

M952 for durability, I've got some 10yrs+. M970 does shift better, though not as durable. M953, rapid rise is just wrong.....

Back