er, 10-42T cassette anyone?

The whole group set is crazy money....but, I think it's a good idea.

Rumour has it that there is an X91 and X01 set up in the pipeline. There is a market for it, especially with the number of people running a 1x10 set up (myself included). Hope making a freehub makes it attractive too.

The biggest cog is probably bigger than most people's rear rotors!

42 seems a tad excessive to me (but I'm one of those weird people who still runs a triple up front ;))

the 36 on my SLX cassette already looks like a bloody dinner plate (and I'm not even sure I'll ever use it anyway)...

Say you were running a 32t chainring on the front, and this 42 on the back, would it not be the same as having it the opposite way round (42 front an 32 rear)? If so, I don't get it. I'm sticking with a triple for now.

EarlofBarnet":2by7nbdq said:
Say you were running a 32t chainring on the front, and this 42 on the back, would it not be the same as having it the opposite way round (42 front an 32 rear)? If so, I don't get it. I'm sticking with a triple for now.

No, it's not the same...

I could work it out in gear inches for you but I've always found ratios easier:

42f/32r = 1:1.3125
32f/42r = 1:0.762

The wide range on the 10-42 cassette wouold give you an "extra" gear at the top and bottom of current setups (the 10-tooth being a higher gear than current 11's and the 42 being much lower than current 36's)

So if I (as an example) wanted to run this I could fit a 38-tooth single to the front and still retain the same "hard" gear as with my current 42-tooth big ring but i'd lose my lowest gears (that I rarely use anyway).

It's the future I tell thee. I'm patiently waiting for my chain set to arrive, a bargain compared to the cassette. I have heard from people who have the cassette that its a thing of beauty a fantastic bit of machine work.

kaiser":tf4u4u32 said:
It's the future I tell thee. I'm patiently waiting for my chain set to arrive, a bargain compared to the cassette. I have heard from people who have the cassette that its a thing of beauty a fantastic bit of machine work.

I think your right. The reports that I've seen on STW from people who have actually bought it (rather than journos getting it for free) are largely positive. One or two seem to have experienced their chain jumping cogs on the cassette in really rough stuff but I don't recall anyone losing a chain. Interestingly those who have experienced the cog skipping have only ad itin the dry.

The cassette is indeed a thing of beauty from what I've seen. I can't wait for a lower price point version. I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cake. I'm generally fine with my 11-36 and a 34 tooth chainring but there are times when I wish I had an extra gear.

Back