Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Hello again Retrowers. Im looking for advice on carriers for the roof of the car. How they work ect. Its a 2004 Honda Accord estate with rails fitted. I understand I will need to purchase the correct bars to go across the roof but are they all the same. Do all bike carriers have a universal mount to the bars? Need to get kitted up for a trip to Kielder with the kid. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by reconminicon on Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:55 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

There are loads of different length bars so you need the right ones.
Never thought i'd say this but a trip to Halfords will be your best bet to get the right set-up. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Hmm I didnt want to say that either but was thinking I will have to pay them a visit just to get an idea. Mmmm Halfords... Top dollar. Was hoping to get a few eBay bargins!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:24 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Go to h word get the spec and then auctions. That's what we did!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Ok. I will post their price when I get back. Just for laughs...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm 

I've got this set-up for my Ford Kuga, 'Mont Blanc' Roof Bars and 'Mont Blanc Barracuda' Cycle carriers, now i am a firm believer in spending a little bit more will get you a better product, especially in this field. You do not want to be leaving your beloved Retrobike bouncing down the Motorway. The positives on my set-up;

1 - Bars and Carriers lock to roof bars on car (Great Anti-Theft mechanism lockable with key)
2 - Cycles are locked into fixings again secured by a special security key, so when fitted to carrier cannot be removed easily.
3 - Mont Blanc is good quality, well built and the version i have has a nice deep scoop for the front wheel to sit in which will accommodate up to 2.2 tyres.

CRC has them for sale, free postage single carrier £85 they do double packs of carriers £152.99

I use mine a lot and never feel that they are unsafe when motorway driving. \the bike always feels secure and safe and the anti theft measures that are built in are a godsend, especially if you have to stop en-route.

Jussa :D

Attachments:
DSC08004.JPG
DSC08004.JPG [ 102.4 KiB | Viewed 376 times ]
IMG_4531.jpg
IMG_4531.jpg [ 74.21 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_4532.jpg
IMG_4532.jpg [ 97.84 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_4534.jpg
IMG_4534.jpg [ 69.1 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
IMG_4533.jpg
IMG_4533.jpg [ 88.07 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm 
Old School Hero

I used to put my bikes on the car roof but gave up because of the effect on fuel economy and I now use a towbar fitted rack which keeps the bikes out of the slipstream behind the car.

I preferred Thule ski bike carriers (model 931?)which have a fixing which slides into a channel on the cross bars.You then lock the carrier to the bars with a key.Still got three in the shed somewhere,as I said they drastically reduced fuel economy.Mind you I live in Devon and take the bikes with me to Scotland on holiday which means mpg counts.

Although the carriers lock into the crossbars,check that the crossbars also lock onto the car side bars,some don't.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 pm 

frank.youngman wrote:
I used to put my bikes on the car roof but gave up because of the effect on fuel economy and I now use a towbar fitted rack which keeps the bikes out of the slipstream behind the car.

I preferred Thule ski bike carriers (model 931?)which have a fixing which slides into a channel on the cross bars.You then lock the carrier to the bars with a key.Still got three in the shed somewhere,as I said they drastically reduced fuel economy.Mind you I live in Devon and take the bikes with me to Scotland on holiday which means mpg counts.

Although the carriers lock into the crossbars,check that the crossbars also lock onto the car side bars,some don't.

I've trundled a few times up and down the country with bikes on roof and to be honest the fuel economy varies only slightly, mind you my Diesel Kuga is pretty eco friendly :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Fantastic post Jussa. I understand. They look the buisness. If CRC can match the eBay price they may well be getting a sale.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Retro Guru

As for the MPG frank its only an hour and a half away. Trailer tent and the way the spoiler is on the Honda says they got to go on the roof. But it does run on gas. Which is nice.