Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Rusty stantions!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=255561

Author:  davemev [ Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Rusty stantions!

Hi guys
Just a bit of advice needed. My brother has a 2010 Giant Trance X4 that he has ridden less than 100 miles since new. Unfortunately though he has left it in the garden under a
lean-to and allowed it to rust! The bike is fitted with Rock Shox Tora forks and the stantions have now started to rust.
Is there any way to remove rust from such a surface without causing too much or more damage? Your advice would be apprectiated.
Thanks

Dave

Author:  The History Man [ Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rusty stantions!

Wasn't he a fairly successful 1970s Country and Western singer?

Author:  davemev [ Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am ]

:lol:

Author:  EarlofBarnet [ Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 am ]

I'd lightly sand any rust spots down so they are smooth with the rest of the stanchion. Then seal with some clear nail varnish. Leaving them there may damage the seal. Unfortunately the rust will have damaged the chrome finish of the stanchions, but doing the above will look better than the rust. Hope that helps.

Author:  poweredbypies [ Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am ]

I would try polishing them first. See how they look after that before grabbing the wet and dry.

Author:  02gf74 [ Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm ]

there is a rust neutralising stuff - believe it is based on phosphoric acid - loctite sel it plus some comoany like Jenokill (well it has jeno in the name)

Author:  JamesM [ Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm ]

poweredbypies wrote:
I would try polishing them first. See how they look after that before grabbing the wet and dry.

+1. Try a cutting polish and if that doesn't work maybe a chrome polish of some sorts.

Author:  EarlofBarnet [ Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 pm ]

The pitted bits won't be sealed though as the coating will have corroded off. It will need sealed with something so the rust doesn't come back through at the first sign of moisture. A thin dab of nail varnish will seal it up.

Author:  Bullpup [ Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm ]

02gf74 wrote:
there is a rust neutralising stuff - believe it is based on phosphoric acid - loctite sel it plus some comoany like Jenokill (well it has jeno in the name)

I think you mean Jenolite?

Author:  shedobits [ Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm ]

BITD this was cause for a MOT failure on motorbikes. The "cure" was to fill the pits with Araldite and very gently wet and dry. What can he loose?

Author:  davemev [ Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 am ]

Thanks guys. I knew I would get some decent advice on here.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to collect the bike on Monday and do it for him. It breaks my heart to see a good bike treated like that.
Thanks again

Dave

Author:  The History Man [ Sat May 11, 2013 8:31 am ]

Looking forward to the comeback album.

Author:  slow_matt [ Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm ]

Hamerite rust remover dip is brilliant :)

Author:  highlandsflyer [ Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 pm ]

There is no reason they would have pitted seriously. I would take an oil soaked rag to them and see what the state of play is.

Author:  Andy R [ Mon May 13, 2013 7:24 am ]

davemev wrote:
Thanks guys. I knew I would get some decent advice on here.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to collect the bike on Monday and do it for him. It breaks my heart to see a good bike treated like that.
Thanks again

Dave

My daughter did that with her bike which also had some cheap Rock Shox forks.
A rub with some oily Scotchbrite cleaned them up well enough to use but obviously they'll never be perfect again.

Author:  S-M [ Mon May 13, 2013 7:30 pm ]

Cheap cola and scrunched up aluminium foil.

Cleaned up my chrome motorcycle exhaust fine ;-)

Author:  Bullpup [ Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm ]

Autosol and a worn green pan scourer.

Author:  HypnoToad [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:13 pm ]

Have some zoom forks that are like this also, I find riding in the rain doesn't help either but apart from wiping down the forks after each ride, would adding gaiters help at all or would that make the rust problem worse?

Author:  Andy R [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm ]

Gaiters will stop you seeing the rust and will keep the rain off the stanchions but they'll still rust.
The only cure is either a new crown/stanchion assembly or, better still, some decent forks like a set of secondhand Marzocchis.
There are plenty around the £80 mark, here or on Fleabay.

Author:  The History Man [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 pm ]

Or get his new American Songbook goes Country album.

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 am ]

I'd be inclined to try and fix them rather than replace them with something else. The Tora coils fitted to the X4 were one of the few forks to be sprung according to the frame size, so they're better matched to the typical riders weight. They track well, the preload adjuster actually works, as does the basic compression damping. Go wherever you want in geography or time but you won't find a better performing coil fork, so I did try and salvage them if the we're mine.

Once done buy the lad a can of Rock Oil Maintenance Spray and a rag and tell him to wipe the sanctions after every ride.

Author:  Andy R [ Thu May 16, 2013 7:26 am ]

Chopper1192 wrote:
Go wherever you want in geography or time but you won't find a better performing coil fork

Are you sure? :?

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am ]

Compared to the Tora Coil customs sprung.and specifically fitted.to the Trance X4, yes, I'm very sure. And in the day MBR agreed with me.

Author:  Wasmachineman NL [ Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 pm ]

Chopper1192 wrote:
Compared to the Tora Coil customs sprung.and specifically fitted.to the Trance X4, yes, I'm very sure. And in the day MBR agreed with me.

:facepalm:
A Reba or anything above a Tora will blow it out of the water, end of story, put a Float RL on it and you'll be amazed how it rides.