Rusty stantions!

davemev

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys
Just a bit of advice needed. My brother has a 2010 Giant Trance X4 that he has ridden less than 100 miles since new. Unfortunately though he has left it in the garden under a
lean-to and allowed it to rust! The bike is fitted with Rock Shox Tora forks and the stantions have now started to rust.
Is there any way to remove rust from such a surface without causing too much or more damage? Your advice would be apprectiated.
Thanks

Dave

I'd lightly sand any rust spots down so they are smooth with the rest of the stanchion. Then seal with some clear nail varnish. Leaving them there may damage the seal. Unfortunately the rust will have damaged the chrome finish of the stanchions, but doing the above will look better than the rust. Hope that helps.

there is a rust neutralising stuff - believe it is based on phosphoric acid - loctite sel it plus some comoany like Jenokill (well it has jeno in the name)

poweredbypies":twoux125 said:
I would try polishing them first. See how they look after that before grabbing the wet and dry.

+1. Try a cutting polish and if that doesn't work maybe a chrome polish of some sorts.

The pitted bits won't be sealed though as the coating will have corroded off. It will need sealed with something so the rust doesn't come back through at the first sign of moisture. A thin dab of nail varnish will seal it up.

02gf74":2z5031d4 said:
there is a rust neutralising stuff - believe it is based on phosphoric acid - loctite sel it plus some comoany like Jenokill (well it has jeno in the name)

I think you mean Jenolite?

BITD this was cause for a MOT failure on motorbikes. The "cure" was to fill the pits with Araldite and very gently wet and dry. What can he loose?

Back