Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm 
Old School Hero

Finally got the last couple of bits together to complete my bike!

I originally posted on the "Show us your FSR's" thread but thought I'd properly share my experiences of putting her together in a new thread.

About a month ago I put a speculative bid of £30 on the frame, didn't actually expect to win it but I did! - I then had to find some forks so I bid on a set of Rockshox Dart (I think they're a 2011/12 model, they have adjustable rebound, spring rate and a lockout control) which cost me £70.

Once they were delivered I fitted them together and replaced the UN54 BB with a UN72 one I'd had laying around for years - at this point I found out the bolt holding the rear suspension damper to the frame was bent, that took about half an hour to remove with a pair of mole grips as the head was knackered :( - Ordered a Ti replacement off the 'Bay at this point.

I then went on to start collecting other bits - a pair of Mavic XM-117's, XT front hub & Deore rear hub plus 64 straight-gauge stainless spokes & nipples came next (total cost was around £70 IIRC for the lot).

I built up the wheels and used the "frame & ruler" method to dish and true them.

Went to a car boot sale the weekend after that and spotted a Deore crankset with XT BB (Hollowtech II) - the guy threw in a chain and what he said was 9-speed cassette to sweeten the deal for a total of £40.

Out came the square-taper BB and in went the HT II unit along with the cranks, While fitting the cassette to the hub I discovered that, rather than a 9-speed Deore unit it was actually a 10-speed XT (11-36) one! (so much for the XT "mega-9" I'd just won!).

Back on Ebay: won a Shadow XT rear mech for £17 and hit the BIN button on a Deore Disc caliper with SLX disc and a pair of Deore 10x3 shifters (a trip to Halfords and the purchase of a set of Clark's V-brake levers canti's & cables mean I'll be sticking to mechanical brakes for now, also picked up a 10-speed chain of the same brand as the free one was badly worn).

with everything fixed together I was just missing pedals and decided to go with SPD-M324's so I can switch between normal shoes and cleats as needed - ordered from Halfords along with a replacement disc as the one I got with the caliper was wrong (6-bolt, I needed a centerlock).

and that brings us to the present - I took her out for a spin last night only to discover the reason I got that cassette for free; the top three sprockets are worn out (chain skips) :(

So, before I post pics (need to remember to pick up the camera next time I'm in Lincoln, bike lives in Wigan for now) I'll be needing a new cassette unless there could me another reason for the chain slip? (indexing seems to be right and the stops are correctly set).