Pace RC40 XCAM - Losing Travel after Service, Help!

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've just had my RC40 XCAMs serviced by Tim @ Fork English (justbackdated).

The forks are now losing travel over a short period of time. For example, I went out for a ride on Friday (a week after I'd got them back from the service) and I set the travel at 130mm. By the time I'd got about halfway round, I had lost nearly all of the adjustable travel, and the forks were sat right down at just over 100mm. I then wound the forks right down to 100mm and carried on with the ride.

I've read that it might be a problem with the bearing not engaging properly in the Travel Adjuster Dial, but my forks don't have any of the symptoms of this as the dial still feels very clicky and positive when turning it. The forks have been primed properly, and I know that everything internally is (or at least should be) in order as, like I said, they've only just come back from being in the very capable hands of Tim at Fork English. I'm sure that if there was a problem with the travel adjuster dial, it would have been picked up and Tim would have sorted it.

There is also quite a lot of oil (certainly more than I'm used to seeing) around the stanchions and seals - However I think this is because the forks were overfilled slightly when they were serviced, and I'm pretty certain that it'll sort itself out over the next couple of weeks.

I've sent Tim a PM, but have yet to receive a reply (it's still sat in my Outbox as I type this) - I guess he must be busy as he doesn't appear to have been on the site for a few days. I just hope he picks up the PM and suggests something! I really don't want to have to send them back again if it's something that I can sort out myself.

Hopefully, someone reading this has had the same issue and can offer a solution? Fingers crossed ;)

EDIT
I have just been out to prime the forks again, to see if that makes a difference. I have now noticed that the lockout doesn't work properly (when the forks are 'locked' they creep back up). The forks also don't rebound properly and don't extend back to full travel.

I hope Tim answers my PM soon. As it stands I've spent over £100 to have them serviced only to end up with a pair of forks which are almost as bad as they were when they were sent away!

I'm not saying that the issue is down to something which Tim may or may not have done. However it's no less frustrating as I feel like I've wasted my money :?

Ok, did know what the 40s were, my 41s take a couple of cycles to lock out sometimes, and if you do it too quick the launch control pops off, but that maybe down to me running very little compression damping. Have to tried adjusting the compression as they may just be packing down.

The compression damping is backed right off so they won't be packing down as the rebound is backed off too.

I've had the forks upside down to lube the seals and bleed the damping system (another of the suggested methods) and this hasn't worked either.

Looks like they're going back... Again...

The oil around the stanchions is probably just oil from the sliders moving in the legs and Tim has put more in there, looking at the PDF, does the damping adjuster feel easy to move or does it feel stiff. If you back off the travel adjuster does it come back up to the 130 mark?

jimplops":3m7gfv5a said:
The oil around the stanchions is probably just oil from the sliders moving in the legs and Tim has put more in there, looking at the PDF, does the damping adjuster feel easy to move or does it feel stiff. If you back off the travel adjuster does it come back up to the 130 mark?

The rebound adjuster (blue LC2 lever) feel normal, as does the red compression adjuster at the bottom of the leg. The gold travel adjust dial feels the same as the one on my last set of RC40s. The forks do return to full travel when the travel adjust is backed off, but you need to pump the forks in order for them to do so.

Do you have a manual?

Have you tried reducing the threshold, and if you take the rebound adjuster off does the spindle turn anymore anti-clockwise (remembering where it was :LOL: if it does) makes any difference.

It also says that the compression adjustment starts from 1 turn out to 3 turns out, you've screwed it too far in and ridden it?

The red compression adjuster is backed right off, but is still within what Pace recommend in the manual. Same goes for the rebound/LC2 threshold adjuster.

Back