Help Needed:Is my Klein attitude frame is a 2005 or 2006?!?!

Lewi-Lewkins

Retro Newbie
I could really do with some help retro-bikers...

Argos cycles have refinished my Klein Attitude frame that I bought on eBay and now I want to start building it up...

my problem is this: i understand that if it is a 2005 frame I need an 80mm travel fork but if it is infact a 2006, I will need a 100mm travel fork...

I've looked on Bikepedia etc and I think it's a 2006 but would really appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF0291.JPG
    DSCF0291.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,072
Re: Help Needed:Is my Klein attitude frame is a 2005 or 2006

Let me know if you guys need any close up pics to help you decide

I wouldn't really worry. The 15mm difference (taking sag into account) between an 80 and a 100mm fork will change the handling, but not by much.

Looking at both options on Bikepedia, I notice that the 2006 model has the rear brake line below the top tube while the 2005 model has it on the left side of the top tube. That would make yours a 2006.

Hey Raging_Bulls.

Wow - an excellent spot on the brake line - most helpfull - thank you!

Just finished building this 1999 model too - it was originally red with yellow text but now is a very smart silver sparkle

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,063

"Looking at both options on Bikepedia, I notice that the 2006 model has the rear brake line below the top tube while the 2005 model has it on the left side of the top tube. That would make yours a 2006"

I thought this answered my question but i seem to be finding pics of 2005 attitudes on a goolgle image search which seem to show the rear brake line below the top tube too :(

That's going to complicate things then. In that case you'll need a Trek-Klein expert because I honestly don't see any other differences based on those Bikepedia pics.

Thank you - do you know of any such forum members please?

Honestly, I don't. Most Klein fan here focus on the first half of the 90's too. Someone might stumble onto the topic and recognize it though.

I've been looking at old Klein brochures on www.vintage-trek.com and is seems the 2005 to 2008 kleins came with either 80mm or 100mm travel forks depending on the model (lower spec models seemingly having the lesser travel) but the specs charts for all these years presented give the same head tube angle for a small frame (what i have) of 70.8 degrees regardless of the model of attitude concerned and the fork fitted.

I believe that it is the head tube angle that usually gets adjusted on bikes to accommodate longer travel forks but according to the brochures at least, the head tube angle on a small attitude remained consistent at 70.8 degrees irrespective of whether the fork was an 80mm or 100mm

It seems then like when they started fitting the longer travel forks, the frame geometries weren't actually adjusted to accommodate this and remained constant?

Back