Thomson masterpiece cutting

Ye could also get a haircut. And have yer earlobes trimmed off.

Though I think I'd prefer the first one.

I have a shit before I go out, and save far more weight than spending £500 on trick parts will get me ;)

G

Thing is I think it's addictive to chip away these weights. Like OCD, or attention to detail...?
Accounting bean counter style or unhealthy obsession?
Personally starting with an already light already machined high end post I wouldn't bother at all, but if for some reason you're nip tucking for racing or some competition or experiment then I get it. Hmm

If you bought a pair of trousers that we too long you would get a tailor to shorten them so why no different on bicycle components?

Manufacturers make seat posts in 1 length length, in rare cases 2, in line with the "one size fits all" philosophy, the same applies to frames whcih are typically available in 3 to 5 sizes.

People are different shapess so unles you get a custom made frame, it is a matter of chosing a frame a post that fit best and in the majority of cases the post will be too long.

There is a minmium post inserts, 100 mm or so so any excess post is doing nothing but adding additional weight. The weight is not huge, maybe 1 -2 g per length.

There is nothing wrong in cutting a post to length and some manufactureres e.g. RaceFace encourage this by having marks on the post with a listing of the weight saving. (tried to find a picture of this but failed)

Only down side is when it comes to sell a post - people prefer a post not to have been hacked about.

The WW doubters will quip with "what's the point as you should have a haircut/dump/manicure before a ride" but you can still do that as well as WWing.

02gf74":jw5ozcny said:
The WW doubters will quip with "what's the point as you should have a haircut/dump/manicure before a ride" but you can still do that as well as WWing.

Dont get me wrong, I am in no way trying to discredit or demean those that obsess about every gram... its just that I have my preferred method, and still got money in my pocket for cakes, biscuits, bacon sangers and...

oh....
hang on....

:facepalm:

G

The History Man":2bfjuqwe said:
Ive got it! Titanium house keys!

I've had one for at least ten years; light, is harder wearing than steel and does not rust, what is there not to like? (ispurple to match my bike that I sold )

house key.

you'll need a Ti/Carbon fibre key chain though so you don't lose it in some mud mind! :D

Alloy Money (if only!) paper money. and a cheap Nokia made out of plastic! :D

Back