Not able to see the wood from the trees... GPS system query!

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Yes, it's that age-old technotrickerty question of "Which of these bloody GPS systems am I supposed to be looking at eh?!"...

My problem is this; I'm as deaf as a plank, I don't wear my cochlear implant when out and about and wish to start commuting again..... I'd like a nice touch screen GPS system that will show me 'back street routes' from work to home and back in the Big Smoke. I'm not one for ploughing along main through fares as I can't hear the traffic......for example, the Vauxhall gyratory scares the bejesus out of me, it's like a bloody race track!

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions, I think it would be £200 max, that would be the absolute maximum limit.

What sayeth ye?

Re: Not able to see the wood from the trees... GPS system qu

can't help with touch screen GPS but have you considered handlebar mirrors so you can see what is behind you?

If it's for commuting, you're talking about buying a GPS to find a route that you'll be riding on a regular (if not daily) basis.

If that's what you need, an afternoon of planning and google maps (with streetview if necessary) will go a long way.
Print a map of the possible route and directions, then ride it a few times to memorize it. No need to spend hundreds on a GPS.

As for mirrors, they are very handy but I understand that people wouldn't want them on the handlebar.
I always had one (a Zefal spy) on my old Bulls, right behind the headset. Very inconspicuous and good enough to recognize the make and model of any car that was 100ft behind me.

GPS units will point you in the right direction IF you upload a pre planned route.
These units will have maps or not, a smartphone will do the same function.

From what I gather though you need on the fly route planning, with directions, like you would in a car, a Sat-Nav device.
I think the only folks who've tried this are MIO, check the MIO CYCLO series.
Or, stick a car sat nav device in pedestrian mode.

Garmin Edge units do turn-by-turn navigation. And they don't talk to you anyway, so not being able to hear them makes no difference :)

Back