Shorter steel frames?

dyl

Devout Dirtbag
Morning all.

I have recently discovered just how much I like steel frames, after 10 years riding aluminium.

I'm currently riding an 18 inch GT Tequesta with On-One rigid steel forks, but I'm finding it a bit long to reach to the handlebars - I ruptured a disc in my back a few years ago and reaching too far forwards for too long still aggravates this. Shame as it's a lovely frame to ride, otherwise.

Would I bet better off with a smaller frame? I think anything smaller might be too small. What steel frame could I hope to find reasonably cheaply that would be more comfortable for me?

Remember that higher bars has the same effect of shortening reach, so probably a combination of a short and higher rise stem will do the trick.

I already have a long steerer, a short stem and riser handlebars. Maybe I could get a stem with a bigger rise. I'll try to measure it and compare it to my aluminium Trek to see if I can work out where the differences are and whether I could just make some adjustments.

I'm off to Switzerland & France with a bike in a few weeks and still haven't decided which one to take! The Trek is dead comfy and has (lockable, Tora) suspension, the GT has rigid forks and seems easier (feels like it does half the work for me) - it's great to ride around town but might just be too much of a stretch over the distances we'll be doing.

Mary: Hmm, interesting. Never seen them before. I'm not working tomorrow, and I only live about 5 miles from On-One/Planet X so I'm tempted to pop over and have a look / buy a pair. Also, they have the white ones cheapish and I'm thinking of repainting my bike white. Very interesting...

From a retro perspective Claud Butlers often have short top tubes in comparison to seat tubes. I have a 20" C-T seat tube with 21.5" C-C top tube example from late...ish nineties as an example and another 20" with a 22" toptube from 92.

Back