Crank Bros Pedals: Candy or Egg Beaters?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hey guys,

I'm about to get some of the above, but can't decide which to go for: I won't be racing on these, nor will I be doing anything too hairy with them either.

Is there much to gain having the cage around the body? Any advice welcome!

:oops:

I'd go for the candys. That little bit of a platform comes in handy if you ever need to ride your bike with normal trainers on..

Personally, I'd avoid them like the plague...they do seem to be plagued with reliability issues like a lot of CB stuff. I've never used them myself because I ride flats but unless you really want the float and nice packaging you're better off with Shimano or Time.

I tried eggbeaters and they lasted for two rides before I sold them. I think to get the best out of them you need shoes with super stiff soles as I constantly felt aware of the small contact area. Moved onto Time ATAC now and wouldn't consider anything else.

I'm running some egg eaters and some mallets. The mallets have a good platform around and more comfortable, the egg beaters look cooler and weigh less - the candys fall between the two.

when they first came out i liked them, converted a whole bunch of bikes over to them, knee ache later i changed back to shimano, knee ache gone.

not to mention, snapped axle on the triple ti (on the road bike), fast wear on the cleats, exploding bearings and digging lines into the bottom of my shoes, and i'm only an xc boy who struggles to get the bike off the ground, i rarely break anything but i wouldn't touch those things with someone elses barge pole.

if you made me though, candy's for the extra support

Blimey... some negative views there!

I do need float, I have buggered knee... I know my old Shimano SPDs never had float, that's why I ditched them. Do the more modern ones?

Reliability is up with the newer models, they now (mostly)have bearings rather than bushes. Alot of the bad press came from the OEM pedals, loads on ebay and mostly Smarties which weren't very good anyway. I've got Candys and Mallets and they have lasted a long time, also a couple of pairs of eggbeaters and they are needing a service but they are more a race pedal so there is the trade off. Also the premium cleats do last longer than the OEM ones too. If you have alot of bikes they still make sense, invest in your used and abused bike and pick up cheaper ones for occasional riders. If you don't have alot of bike consider Time Atacs as well.

kaiser is right regarding bearings etc, what i would say though is that all of my pedals were after market items and still had the issues.

regarding your dodgy knee, the float is good on these but i found that (specifically the egg beaters) made my foot tip outward, so when i pedalled on the downward stroke my foot was pushing on the outer edge of my foot, this then put my knee at a slight angle and i feel this is what caused my knee ache, when i changed back to shimano with more support from the pedal the knee ache stopped.

i'd suggest Time aswel for you.

oh and a side point,

the guys who started 'crank brothers' were ex Time employees, makes you wonder if they showed the design to them first? and if so, did Time reject it? and why?

Back