Chris King rear hub service questions

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
Evening guys ,

I think my rear CK hub needs a service the freehub doesn't sound like it did :roll: just wondering if anyone has any experience on the service side of these things .My questions are ;

➡️ is this a job I can accomplish with my current usual bike tools or do I need anything specific
➡️ am I better taking it to a LBS that deal in CK

Many thanks as usual

GM :cool:

With 2 - 5mm allen keys you can get it part of the way apart from what I recall. Enough to give the ring drive a clean and lube.

You do need the fancy expensive tools to get the bearings out. A friend has the tool so we rebuilt mine after 5 years of hard use just for fun, but it didn't really need it.

King do videos on their site. Undo the axle with two 5mm Allen keys. Turn the free hub body and pull, it will come out with the axle. The ring drive should be run on King drive lube, but it can be run on oil (king recommend tri-flo for winter running). Without the hub adjustment tool, you may have problems adjusting the bearings, unless it has the Allen key on the non drive side.

P20":1m1t6dkk said:
King do videos on their site. Undo the axle with two 5mm Allen keys. Turn the free hub body and pull, it will come out with the axle. The ring drive should be run on King drive lube, but it can be run on oil (king recommend tri-flo for winter running). Without the hub adjustment tool, you may have problems adjusting the bearings, unless it has the Allen key on the non drive side.

Thanks for this , really helps , I was able to clean and lube the ring drive with the main bearings in, the freehub body needs a good pull to remove , I cleaned all the crap out and lubed with CK lube, the freehub body needed a good push home to locate it. The being adjustment was simple with the 4 hole adjuster. The hub now sounds a lot happier and like it used to :cool:

Thanks once again

GM :cool:

Back