Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:54 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 pm 
Retro Guru

I broke my ankle a few weeks ago, slight fracture of the fibula, and I'll be getting the cast off in 3 weeks. Has anyone got any recommendations for easing myself back into riding? I currently ride trials which can take its toll on your ankles so I want to build myself up gently rather than jumping straight in so any advice would be great.
I'll be getting a decent quality ankle support for riding in and I currently only own a 29" unicycle and trials bikes but I'm happy to buy a cheap xc/road rig to help me build my strength up!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Gym! A decent physio can recommend a good little workout routine to help with that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Makster is just back from a broken ankle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 am 
Old School Grand Master

i'd recommend a trubo trainer or gym spinning class so you can get back into pedalling without and risk of dropping onto the damaged leg when having to make an unscheduled stop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am 
Retro Guru

Sounds good cheers, the wife is after a trainer so sounds like a good excuse for a purchase now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I would go down the Turbo trainer route too! I broke my hand a few weeks back and trying to get back into riding, have found anything too bumpy is a bad idea. ..sticking to road right now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

I fractured my lateral malleolus at the start of January, and I'm still getting back to 100% now.
I found that the bone itself healed really quickly, but it's the ligament and muscle damage that is taking the time to heal.
I cut the plaster off after 4 days and bought a removable brace instead. I read up on good foods to aid bone healing and rubbed comfrey oil into the area twice a day too.
I actually managed one VERY painful snowboard run exactly 3 weeks after the original accident, but I was probably being an arse.

I have found that walking on un-even surfaces (I live right next to the beach) has helped to re-build strength into the area.
My first 2 rides since the break I did on my full sus bike (to lessen the shocks). However, this was me on Saturday..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZt9--1u ... e=youtu.be
My ankle felt fine, so I'm going to try some beach running this week too :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Friend of mine did a triple spiral fracture in his ankle last october. He's made a fantastic recovery and seems good as new, despite the pins and plates. His approach was, turbo trainer first, followed by real bike, but just gentle road stuff. He's done plenty of walking too as weight bearing exercise will help to re-build bone density. He's back to full off road duties now, but only on his full susser as it gives him that extra cushioning. All the best with a full recovery, isitafox :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Big bump here, since my last post I've had 3 weeks in a cast, 3 weeks in an aircast and I'm now into my 3rd week with nothing. Did loads of walking with my aircast on and haven't been off my feet the last few weeks as we're in the process of moving house.
Physio said my movement was good and gave me some stretches to do, she also said I could do some work on the trainer for a month before building into short road rides. Sadly no trials action till at least August which is gutting, already missed a load of comps so will be out the running of the British Championship but I'd rather play it safe and ride long term than jump on early and do more damage.

Was a cracking excuse to rebuild my 2 bikes though, and I blagged a cheap roadie off a friend for £50 to aid my recovery!