Cycling vs Mountain bike parts

rs1800

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

i'm a newbie here, so maybe this subject has allready been talked somewhere in this forum.

I saw, in a recent sales post that a bike had several cycling parts mixed with mtb parts (all Shimano parts, Dura Ace cassete and chain and XTR rear derailleur) on the transmission.

My question is how can we tell which parts are compatible. Are there any Shimano charts or another data base for us to know?

I'm kind on my bike parts (i never brake anything) so i was thinking of using a Shimano cycling crankset with XTR M900 chain, cassete and rear derailleur.

Regards,

Rui

depending on what it is, then most shimano stuff all works fine (I think...feel free to blast me someone) in a simialr way that the different spec and years of mtb parts will. Things like shifter cable pull vs deralliur movement are the same.
The things to watch are the size of things, eg a duarace rear mech may not work too well with an xtr cluster due to a short cage on the mech and large cog on the cluster, simialr with the chainwheels and front mech.
Thats what I'm thinking, could be totally wrong. But when I go and buy a chain it is a Dura ace/XTR chain, so some things are just the same.

stevet1":apyg71mu said:
mountain biking is cycling too ...

:LOL: This is what happens when you are thinking in portuguese and writing in english :LOL:

We say "cycling bikes" (sort of) and "mtb bikes" in portuguese. I meant road bikes and mtb bikes :LOL:

So, when comparing road parts to mtb parts you should watch the years of production, the gamma (for instance Dura Ace vs XTR) and the sizes.

Regards,

Rui

P.S. i won't be going out tonight to buy parts but it's good to begin to gather this informations

Road chainsets tend to have larger rings than mtb versions, and can therefore sometimes be too close to the chainstay.

Regards

Road front shifters and front mechs are different to MTB, but there are work-arounds. See the CTC website. Otherwise, don't mix 10-speed with anything else. Most of the rest is interchangeable.

Specifically with Shimano:

I've run mix & match for years - my current tourer is 3x9 speed, with flat bars, deore shifters, and deore crankset. At the back is tiagra GS rear mech and 12-27 cassette.

Previous tourer was 8 speed, with Sora 8 speed STI road levers on drop bars, sora front mech, Deore XT crankset (48T top ring), and for a full range of gears, an 11-32 cassette on the back with a long cage XT mech.

There's a few things I've found that have worked or didn't for me:

- Road front mechs need a road front shifter to work to their best (trimming)
- 7, 8 & 9 speed (possibly 6, never tried) rear shifters work with any rear mech (cage length depends on total Teeth used)
- Regular road drop STI levers don't work well with V brakes

I've not tried any 10 speed stuff yet, but Dynasys (mountain) looks pretty specific, where the road stuff is different.

It's always worth a try to see what works, you may be surprised!

Back