10 speed chain advice....

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
following a stonking 40 mile road blast this morning with mathew71......great morning in the saddle mate! :D .....i have cleaned and serviced the road bike and my chain wear indicator is showing 0.75% wear.....(just).....not too surprising as it has given me many thousands of miles of loyal service!......its a dura ace 10 speed set up.....

firstly, there is useable life left in it yet, but im tempted to swap it over for the sake of a few quid to be on the safe side.....the 1% part of the wear indicator seems some way off being reached.......am i being a little over eager?.....

secondly, what are you using that is in the same quality bracket as the dura ace chain that will give me a split pin?......i much prefer them as i can remove the chain to clean it and the rest of the drivetrain properly......i want something of comparable quality, presumably kmc or sram.....what model number am i after please my roadie bretheren..... :D

thousands of miles on a 10sp chain is a record, normally they're done for after 1000 miles, are you sure your chain gauge is thin enough to only contact on the very narrow rollers? Kmc is the way to go, ti nitrided, kmc xl 10 gold.

It's the original chain that came with my s-works road bike in 2009, the gauge is a park tools jobby and I'm certain I'm using it correctly......I am really anal regarding maintenance, giving the drivetrain a full turps cleanup every wet ride, and perhaps every 3 or 4 dry rides, so I guess it's that approach that has kept it running so well!.....it's a delicate looking thing so no real surprise it's had it's day!....thanks for the advice, I will check out the kmc blingy gold number!.....

I'd replace it. Dura-ace chainrings and cassettes are mighty expensive, where as the chain is around £25. Waiting till 1% is probably only going to save you about £5 so why risk it. Also have you tried at a few different points on the chain as in my experience chain stretch seems to vary a bit along the length of the chain.

;) For what its worth I've just tried my Park Tools CC-3 chain stretch indicator on my 10spd 105 chain and it is narrow enough.

One more thing, SRAM 10 speed powerlinks are not removable/re-usable and the same is true of the KMC quick links used on thier SS chains, don't know about the 10 speed KMC chains though.

that will teach you to ride a modern bike , you should try my way and not change gear uphill . i would stick with a new dura ace

I use shimano, mavic and kmc 10 speed chains across mtbs, cross and road bikes. I use kmc connectors on all of them and have never had a problem. Having tried connectors from kmc, SRAM and wipperman I think kmc are the best - great chains too.

If you keep your drive chain clean and well lubricated you can get several thousand miles out of a chain though if you use a chain until the end of its life you will wear the cassette out more quickly.

I've always used Sram chains, mainly because of the powelink. It is annoying that you can't reuse it on their 10 speed jobbies, especially at £5 a pop.

Heard good things about KMC, so I'll give them a whirl next time.

You're post has reminded me that my road bikes needs some TLC...the road salt from the last couple of days needs cleaning off.

Back