Sram XX HELP REQUIRED

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Ive just picked up a pair of sram's XX 10spd shifters(its 2x10). My intention was to simply swop them over with the X.9 [9spd] shifters ive been running.
The mechs are Sram XO rear mech and X.9 front mech

I've just been reading some posts and it appears to me at first glance that the XO mech and XX shifters might be incompatible :(
Does anyone know the truth of the sram shifting systems? I understand the 1:1 actuation with works X.9 and XO but apparently the XX is something called 'exact actuation' and you must use XX to go with it. A 10 spd cassette shouldn't be an issue so whats the big deal with the rear mech :? i'd have thought it was purely down to how it swings as the shifter denotes how the mech would sit.

The shifters in question :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181098513828? ... 1497.l2648

The other thing i wanted to know was can i use the 10spd on a 9spd cassette? ,resetting the limit screws or something. Ive been running the front x.9 shifter and front X.9 mech in 2 positions for a 46/36t set up(the X.9 mech just makes it :LOL: )

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I don't think you can use a 9sp cassette with 10sp setup as the jumps per click are smaller to accommodate the narrower cog spacing.

I though all Sram stuff worked on a 1:1 actuation, even the 10 speed stuff. Looking at the Sram website Exact Actuation is just their posh 'tech' name for 1:1.

I don't see why the mech won't work...the cassette is the same overall width and its the shifter that denotes how far it moves. The only thing may be the jockey wheels...they may be slightly wider on 9 speed that 10. I see to run an old retro 7 speed Dura Ace mech on my DH bike which was 9 speed. All I did was sap the jockey wheels over.

I'd give it a go and see what happens.

Mindmap3":3ies4zfo said:
I though all Sram stuff worked on a 1:1 actuation, even the 10 speed stuff. Looking at the Sram website Exact Actuation is just their posh 'tech' name for 1:1.

I don't see why the mech won't work...the cassette is the same overall width and its the shifter that denotes how far it moves. The only thing may be the jockey wheels...they may be slightly wider on 9 speed that 10. I see to run an old retro 7 speed Dura Ace mech on my DH bike which was 9 speed. All I did was sap the jockey wheels over.

I'd give it a go and see what happens.
I think that best. :? I will try it on 9spd just to see what happens but im guessing it will be like trek_y's suggestion that the jumps are a tiny bit different and that would probable lead to clicking no matter how closely its set up :?

1:1,1:2 'actual' actuation :evil: Whatever next :roll: And not that i can see it making that much of a difference.
Strange thing is that ive always found shimano 1:2 or whatever to be considerably easier to change gear,almost like sram is slightly stiffer to push the levers.Of course that could be just my cable routing but im sure others have commented on the same thing :?
I like sram :? the X stuff, especially at the higher end is a really fresh look at things when everything was either shimano or a weird twistgrip :? I like that their [sram] mechs dont jump about in the bumpy stuff and are quite skeletal in design,for saving a few grams. Adding ano was a nice thing to see coming in but i fear it has set off a blaze that has engulfed us all :LOL:

I think i'd better do a wee sale of spares as i think the upgrade is going to cost a pretty penny :(

I'm a big fan of Sram.

I switched back in 2005 because the 1:1 actuation was genuinely a revelation. I was running M952 XTR before that but it was a pain in the peak during the winter. I was constantly fiddling with it and changing gear cables every few rides. Up until this point I'd more or less ignored Sram since I'd run an ESP 7.0 mech ad shifter ages ago. The Shimano compatible triggers were awesome when they came out. The revised X7 and X9 stuff convinced me to swap over. The great cable pull was genuinely less affected by the Peaks grit and grime. They basically stole a march on Shimano.

However, after the last few years Shimano have stolen a march. They're new shadow mechs are supposed to be great and they've altered their cable actuation however I'm still running Sram mainly because I like the clunkiness of it. The only Shimano shifter that feels similar is the Saint and I'm too tight to buy one!

You've got nowt to lose trying your 9 speed each with a 10 sped shifter. I reckon it may just work.

Sorry Dyna, I may have misinterpreted your initial post and assumed that you were going to run a 10 speed shifter and cassette with a 9 speed rear mech (which would work because the shifter determines how far the mech moves).

Using a 10 speed shifter as a 9 speed one won't work because the mech movement for one click won't be enough because the gap between each jump on the cassette is smaller on 10 speed than 9 speed.

Mindmap3":28oekcy9 said:
Sorry Dyna, I may have misinterpreted your initial post and assumed that you were going to run a 10 speed shifter and cassette with a 9 speed rear mech (which would work because the shifter determines how far the mech moves).

Using a 10 speed shifter as a 9 speed one won't work because the mech movement for one click won't be enough because the gap between each jump on the cassette is smaller on 10 speed than 9 speed.

OK ,to clarify

I have a 9spd pair of X.9 trigger shifters along with a 9spd XO long cage rear mech and an X.9 front mech.

Ive bought the XX 10spd shifters and WILL change to a 10spd cassette. The question is will the 9spd XO rear mech work for 10spd :? Im more than prepared to also buy an XX rear mech but i really dont want to because they cost the friggin earth.
For it to work and because the distances are the same the 9spd mech would have to effectively overshift :? correct ?

Will another 10 speed mech work (aka not xx)?

The leverage on the mechs is different for ten speed i believe.

Back