Urge helmet sizing - anyone tried them and a giro?

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
For some ridiculous reason I feel the need to start DH biking. As a self-employed manual worker in my late 30s I should think better of this, but then again, he who dares and all that...

So, I have been looking at Urge full face helmets and I love the styling, but I can't find any shops where I can try and buy one locally. I just wondered if we had any Urge wearers on here (we should with the retro looks) and whether any of those people had also worn Giro helmets? A medium Giro is normally spot on for me, so it would give me a clue.

Thanks

Rich

I've tried them. I tried loads on when I bought a full face last year. My LBS (Leisure lakes) were really helpful in ordering helmets in and keeping them as stock if they didn't fit.
I tried helmets from Giro, Troy lee, Urge and Fox. If I remember the Urge only comes in small/medium or medium/large, with pads to fine tune the fit. I think the medium Giro was too small, and the large was too big, I had the same problem with the Urge so their sizing is probably similar. The Troy lee felt the best, possibly down to the much larger range of sizes, but in the end I couldn't justify the cost. I went with a fox in the end as it also fitted well, just a bit heavier.
You can't adjust a full face the same as you can a standard helmet with the retention straps, it either fits the shape of your head or it doesn't. I thought the large giro fitted me but I was told to shake my head around without doing the chin straps up and it flopped back - which is potentially worse than no helmet at all.
My point would be that you really need to try before you buy, even if it means a long trip to a decent shop.

Thanks for that - it's useful stuff. I totally take your point - just can't find a local stockist. Will be up in Wales in a couple of weeks - there's a place near Snowdon that stocks them so I will resist the lure of the CRC sale and hold on til I can try one on.

Thanks

Rich

I can't comment really on the full faces, but I love my Enduro Matic. Fit wise, I'm a large / extra large with the thicker pads.

In terms of Giro, I'm in between sizes...can use either a medium or a large. My old Xen was a medium and fitted just right, but my Semi MX is / was a large.

Back