Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hello guys, i want to make some upgrades in the near future and i started gathering some parts. The drivetrain will look something like this:

-Shifters - Sram X5
-F. mech - Shimano M590
-R. mech - Sram X5
-Cassete - Shimano HG61
-Chain - Kmc X9
-Chainset - Shimano M590

Question is, do you thing it is unbalanced? Should i go X7 shifters and r. mech? Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 am 
Old School Grand Master

I bet nobody could tell the difference between X5 and X7 in the dark...similarly between Deore and XT. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
I bet nobody could tell the difference between X5 and X7 in the dark...similarly between Deore and XT.

I'll go along with that. I upgraded from Deore to XT, because I thought they looked prettier, but if I'm honest, no real difference in shifting performance whatsoever.

The only thing to check is that the Shimano front mech will work with an SRAM shifter, I know some SRAM shifters aren't compatible with Shimano mechs and vice versa, but can't remember which ones. :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

xerxes wrote:
Quote:
I bet nobody could tell the difference between X5 and X7 in the dark...similarly between Deore and XT.

I'll go along with that. I upgraded from Deore to XT, because I thought they looked prettier, but if I'm honest, no real difference in shifting performance whatsoever.

The only thing to check is that the Shimano front mech will work with an SRAM shifter, I know some SRAM shifters aren't compatible with Shimano mechs and vice versa, but can't remember which ones. :?

As far as I'm awre front mechs are fine because they all work on the same pull ratio, it's just the rear mech. SRAM use a 1:1 ratio, not sure what Shimano use.

What year X5 stuff is it? The latest stuff is exactly the same as my X9 stuff from 2005 so it should work pretty well. My old X9 mech is a bit baggy these days, but it still keeps on working even after being on loads of bikes, including my DH bikes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master

SRAM X7 shifters and Shimano front mech works fine. It's the rears which are not compatible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Mindmap3 wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Quote:

As far as I'm awre front mechs are fine because they all work on the same pull ratio, it's just the rear mech. SRAM use a 1:1 ratio, not sure what Shimano use.

What year X5 stuff is it? The latest stuff is exactly the same as my X9 stuff from 2005 so it should work pretty well. My old X9 mech is a bit baggy these days, but it still keeps on working even after being on loads of bikes, including my DH bikes.

The X5 shifter/derralieur is the old generation, not the new

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

FYI: ESP/1.1 = NOT compatible with Shimano, 2:1 and Attack shifters are compatible with Shimano.