Fox F90RL travel increase??

Matthews

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone know if this can be done , having trawled through various sites and Fox website I just seem to be getting conflicting stories , i.e one Fox document says just remove spacers and another says removing them is dangerous !!.
Don't you just love the internet, I only want to increase by 10 or 20mm to go on a newer frame I'm trying .
Matthew :?

I've done it on a set before an it was pretty straightforward. You'll only get another 10mm out of them though by removing the spacer. If you find the Fox guide for doing this to the F100RL forks its the same procedure. The spacer just clips off. If you need any tips or anything just drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :)

You can do it on the early ones, and even remove the spacer on later ones, but the damper cartridge may only be designed for short travel...
Suck it and see!

Well I pulled em apart today and removed the spacer, put the air side back together and then checked the damper side, unscrewed the damper cap and you can still extend it out of the fork (with about 80psi in the air side so it was fully extended) so it looks like no probs, the damper cartridge is long enough. put them all back together with fresh oil and all seems ok , lockout works , no nasty noises and nice n smooth. Cheap way of getting extra 10mm imo. they are 2009 forks btw without the FIT system.
Cheers for the prevoius comments as it reaffimed what I was thinking and if I have any issues at the weekend I'll be back on saying nooooo.
Matthew

I never thought of pulling the damper up after assembly - clever. I hope you lubed the foam rings under the seals? Stupid lubrication system. Mine were dripping wet and the stanchions still wore. :roll:

SP

Well it worked fine , nothing fell apart and they worked nice and smoothly (even though I used mtf94 as damper fluid as I couldn't find any decent shocker fluid in time), so if you want an extra 10mm of travel , take the spacer out (well on the 2009 model anyway).
Matthew
Yes I lubed the foam rings , I pull the seals and lube them every 4 months with ep75/90 and my stanchions are perfect .

Back