tyres.

fuddymox1994

Dirt Disciple
just been to cyclopark in gravesend kent... dry clay compacted with rocks.. found myschwalbe cx comps where fast but didnt not have much grip on the corners...

any recommendations, went for some big bettys's 26 x 2.4 evos trailstars

other suggestions

I've always got on well with Maxxis tyres. My preferred combo is a super tacky up front and a harder 60a rear tyre, both 2.35's (although they come up a tad small). Currently running a Minion on the front and a High Roller on the rear. Can't decide if I preferred High Rollers front and rear.

Pretty much run this set up all year round and it seems to work well. Only time I change is when it's really dusty and then I stick on a High Roller semi slick out back.

I tried some standard Rubber Queens but didn't get on with them at all...they didn't grip in the corners like my Maxxis set up and just generally didn't inspire any confidence. I found myself really tentative on trails that I'd normally hammer. I hear great things about the Black Chilli version but they're expensive, so I'm reluctant to try them in case I don't get in with them.

The Spesh Purgatory tyre is supposed to be good too as are some of the Bontrager jobbies, including the mud tyres which are supposed to be ace in all conditions.

thanks for the input, I went with the Schwalbe Big Bettys.. they look awesome on the bike... like a mini fat bike :p

bike1.jpg

however there is a small issue...well see for your self.....

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

noodle is just touching the tire.. bugger... any suggestions other than replace wheels for disks (would buy a new bike first) ... was thinking of some washers under the cable securing bolt to raise the cable a few mm....

ideas welcome

A slightly longer outer cable will push the brakes up while they're not being applied. However they may still touch the tyres during braking if they would have been the right size to begin with.
Luckily yours seem slightly too short (you can see the result in the way the cable points downwards between the V-brake arms), so it would all work out. I reckon 5-10mm extra would do the trick.

Removing the rubber cover will also solve the problem, but you'll need to pay more attention to cable lubrication then.

I'd advise against using washers, as they'll alter the leverage and the balance of the brakes. Sure, you can adjust the screws near the bottom to compensate, but the braking feel will never be the same. Shame really, as these Tektro brakes really are excellent.

Raging_Bulls":t1wbiwgf said:
A slightly longer outer cable will push the brakes up while they're not being applied. However they may still touch the tyres during braking if they would have been the right size to begin with.
Luckily yours seem slightly too short (you can see the result in the way the cable points downwards between the V-brake arms), so it would all work out. I reckon 5-10mm extra would do the trick.

Removing the rubber cover will also solve the problem, but you'll need to pay more attention to cable lubrication then.

I'd advise against using washers, as they'll alter the leverage and the balance of the brakes. Sure, you can adjust the screws near the bottom to compensate, but the braking feel will never be the same. Shame really, as these Tektro brakes really are excellent.

Thanks for the advice.

did a bit more research on the brake arm length.

Tektro arm length is 102mm, where as the Shimano Acera/Deore brake arm length is 107mm so that may help as well. Ill resolve that outer cable length this evening.

Yes I know the tyres are probably too big for the bike, but the ride quality is sublime...the track i go to is rocky and compacted and my previous Schwalbe CX Comp Semi Slicks where a bit to skittish and lacked grip...

these tyres from the short period make the bike feel so smooth and secure I have to make this work :)

even if its only for a few months until I can buy a "proper Bike" either an Voodoo Bantu or preferably a Voodoo Hoodoo.

Back