Talk to me about "All rounders"

*AJ*

Retro Guru
Could do with a bit of advice here guys....

I currently own an Orange Patriot which is spec'd very DH specific.

F50ECAD0-F118-4A38-9F29-7C7D3B3B17A0-322-00000010E2BFE859.jpg

This bike has not been ridden as it should since an uplift in August last year.

Recently a few of my friends have bought Mountain bikes for riding around the woods on and ive been on a few rides with them but ended up taking my Orange Msisle for obvious reasons

5508B5F3-514D-4649-B091-1C6C45FE8EED-3136-0000015131710A4B.jpg

Whilst the Msisle is better to ride than the patriot, its basically my daily commuter. Its always dirty and isnt particularly enjoyable to ride at the weekends too (i like to go out on a clean quiet bike).

So this is where i got thinking, I want to swap the Patriot & Boxxers for something i can actually pedal around the woods. But it also needs to be able to take a beating if the lads i ride DH with decide to do an uplift etc.
So i basically want one bike, that gets used more often then having an XC bike and DH bikes.

Ive sold the boxxers already so ive decided to get a 160mm single crown fork to replace it (domain/Marzocchi 55), but what about the frame? what should i be looking at that I can actually pedal around the woods but also throw down a hill, off drops and jumps?

I do like my oranges so i have been looking at the alpine & blood...

BUT ive recently come across a Scott Voltage FR with a FOX DHX5 air shock which looks rather tempting!

Anyone got any experience with the Scott? Could i do 20 miles on it easy enough?

Help please! lol Frame/fork suggestions?

This is the Scott frame in question

pbpic3751312.jpg

Albeit the one i am looking at has the DHX air shock

1210tech":1xt7k8wg said:
One bike sprung to mind straight away, an Orange Five

Personally, I think its a little too XC specific.... Im 6 foot 2 and 16 stone, need something that can take a beating. Id rather have something angled more towards downhill, thats just a little more pedal able?

I see an FSR with a BETD long travel linkage in your future but I'm biased. Slightly more modern, mate has an '08 Reign which he thoroughly recommends. He was coming from a Tomac 204 DH bike.

Specialized SX Trail?

IMG_0499.jpg

Or Specialized Enduro?

specializedenduro-399-75.jpg

I only mention these two as I've some experience of them. My friend has the Enduro but upgraded to the SX Trail, I sometimes borrow the Enduro when my retro xc bikes just won't cut it :LOL: Both can handle the rough DH stuff although the SX is definately better at it with it being more of a freeride oriented machine.
But what surprised me was how well they both handle regular xc terrain and climbs, ok so a hardtail is better, and lighter, at least for climbs etc, but as an all rounder the Enduro really is good, and the SX Trail is not far behind, whilst also beaing able to swallow up the big hits.

I'm not a fan of Orange bouncy bikes myself, but the Five is highly rated and can take a proper beating. You only have to look at what the likes of Jo Barnes does on his. Modern trail / AM bikes are pretty damn amazing.

I have an SX Trail that I use for everything and it is good but it is heavy, doesn't pedal that well and is hard work on longer rides. Mine is the early one, so just a slacker beefed up Enduro. With hindsight, I should probably have bought an Enduro, which are massively capable bikes. Dirt loved it when it came out and I believe the S Works version held the record on their test track for a long time even against full on DH bikes.

The Spicey is another bike that gets an awful lot of praise, although I've not ridden one.

I can't speak for you, but if I'm honest with myself I would be better off with a lighter bike. I'm an ex DH rider so am not too fussed about climbing but love bombing down hills, drops and jumps. The SX is great t this stuff but so too are more modern bikes like a Five. They're then better at going up. I see quite a few about with big forks up front (36's, Lyriks etc) and they look well and seem to be pretty damn quick.

I had a Patriot 66 that I tried to use as an all day / one bike for everything and I hated it. It was too heavy for long rides but just dent seem to work well enough for the gravity stuff.

What about a Santa Cruz Bullit? Or even a VP Free. A mate had ow of the latter and it was amazingly light for a bike with 66's on it...bloody quick too.

Forgot to add, that Scott is lovely but it doesn't look like the so of bike you'd want to do a long ride on.

Given that you're quite tall are you looking for a bike that fits? If not, could you not just adapt the Patriot? They were one of the original gravity orientated do it all bikes?

*AJ*":1kyt8suc said:
1210tech":1kyt8suc said:

Personally, I think its a little too XC specific.... Im 6 foot 2 and 16 stone, need something that can take a beating. Id rather have something angled more towards downhill, thats just a little more pedal able?
It all depends how you set it up, I wouldn't say it is XC specific, the Five will handle everything that a DH specific bike will handle

1210tech":1n0aygi4 said:
*AJ*":1n0aygi4 said:
1210tech":1n0aygi4 said:

It all depends how you set it up, I wouldn't say it is XC specific, the Five will handle everything that a DH specific bike will handle

I agree...single ring, Fox 36's or similar, decent wheels and you'll have a light but strong bike that will take a beating.

Back