Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
Retro Guru

He must have had a hell of a post on it to get any where near a proper pedalling height.

I honestly reckon you should try a lightish bike like a Five with a tough build...you'll be a amazed at what they can handle (I also acknowledge that I should heed my own advice because the SX is too burly really).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah, I've told the seller it's not for me!

The search continues..... Something around the 160mm travel area that still goes uphill that can take a beating. Looking at the five, but there's nothing about at the minute. Budget is around £500 for the right frame/shock combo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 pm 
Retro Guru

That sort of budget should get your Spicey and people rave about them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Try and pick up a second hand Turner RFX.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am 
Retro Guru

*AJ* wrote:
Yeah, I've told the seller it's not for me!

The search continues..... Something around the 160mm travel area that still goes uphill that can take a beating. Looking at the five, but there's nothing about at the minute. Budget is around £500 for the right frame/shock combo

If I had to get rid of all my bikes and keep just one it would be the Cannondale Gemini, it does it all and it does it bloody well, put long travel forks and shock on and it becomes a 100% downhill monster, keep it all around 130mm it'll do all mountain with ease, lock out the rear and it's a hardtail XC machine and whack some slicks on there and lock out front and back and it's a surprisngly fast and agile commuter. Mines very light too, never had it on the scale but I reckon it's around 12-13 kg. Every time it gets ridden I think, why don't I ride this all the time ? It got one of the highest scores on mtbr by users too. Climbs like a goat too. Fantastic bike.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/freeride- ... 43crx.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Had the same dilemma and now have an intense 5.5 with a dropper post, and some pikes. Running a fox dhx5 cool shock and the pikes are coil. It rides great, very aggressive bike so suits if you've come from a dh background. Only problem I have now is I'm finding my ridings being limited to country parks with the kids or xc orientated rides with friends. If my chuck rides well then this and my tazer might be put up for sale!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 pm 
Retro Guru

Air shock and lighter wheels/tyres on the Patriot. And keep the old bits for uplift days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:17 am 
Retro Guru

Well I've decided and have something on route to me now!

I ended up going for a 2012 Nukeproof mega, with a RockShox Domain 318 with a tapered steerer!

Hopefully this fits the bill! It sounds like it should from the reviews, and developed with input from Nigel Page too, so its not gonna be bad is it?.... Hopefully!

Should end up looking similar to this:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:57 am 
Retro Guru

Good stuff....to be honest I totally forgot about these!

I've heard nothing but good things about them and when I was thinking that I should take my own advice and go for a slightly lighter bike, one of these was on my list. When do you get it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Hopefully arrives next Wednesday, then need to get the rear wheel converted to 12mm, transfer the saint bits over and wheels etc... Should be good to go by next weekend! Fingers crossed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next