1998 INTENSE REAR BRAKE

retroman

Retro Guru
hello, can anyone tell me how to put a rear disc brake on my intense, there are holes for what look like they could be for the brake but are only 15 mm c to c, help. no pics cos i ve lost my camera at the moment.

cheers drew

Sounds like the old hayes-trek postmount standard. Does it look like this?
276529304_96dc4e20da.jpg

But that was 22mm postmount. They are rare, but you should be able to find the appropriate calliper. (most likely a hayes, and most likely original equipment of a Trek)
Check out Trek bikes from 96-98 if you are not scared to buy a complete bike just for the calliper ;)

This is what the hayes look like:
images

Hope also did them:
dsc_0292_182.jpg

And there are adapters around, but be aware that they might not work with every modern calliper
DCFN0004-250x119.jpg

Oh hold on; I suddenly realise you are probably talking about an Intense M1?! Now that's a completely different story, they had special adapters.
The one on my M1 was in a bad shape, So I made one myself that was better in transferring the brake force to the frame.
The original one was a pretty lousy design really just bolted with two m6 bolts at that short interval, so you can imagine that it started to twist and wear out the holes in the aluminium pretty easy.
So as you can see on the pictures I made one with a much larger contact tight against the frame, so it couldn't start rotating. After 7 years it is still without movement.
In the middle picture you can see the original one, the other two show my own creation. Another advice: max 180mm discs, 200mm will only fit if you pull the wheel way back and with little room to spare.

Here some images for your reference:

Attachments

• DSC03270 (Custom).JPG
    DSC03270 (Custom).JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1900 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1900 (Custom).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1826 disc.jpg
    IMG_1826 disc.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 482
Nothing to add, other than that original Intense mount is terrible! I can't believe that they thought that was sufficient.

cheers for all the info. i ve ordered a new one from a thread i was given on this site, i ll post some pics when its fitted.

cheers drew

Back