Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Preparing for a 40mile road ride... What do I need?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=244053

Author:  ChrisR [ Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Preparing for a 40mile road ride... What do I need?

So as part of my loosing weight getting fit my wife has signed me up for the London to reading ride with the British heart foundation.

Great for helping my fitness and hopefully loose a little weight too!

I'm planning on fitting an outer chainring for flat/downhill sections and re-fitting the dmr moto RTs and running them at 50psi+ to help with rolling resistance.

What else will I definitely need for a constant 3-4hours in the saddle?

I don't normally worry for a normal ride as they generally end up with a fair amount of time out of the saddle and also a fair few stops to chat/eat etc.

Any advice/tips welcome.

Author:  corsarob [ Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Preparing for a 40mile road ride... What do I need?

a sick note from you mum!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Author:  stewlewis [ Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm ]

A comfy saddle, that you're used to.
Padded shorts.
Bar ends to change hand positions.
Padded gloves and grips you're used to.
Mudguards if the weather's foul, or maybe a crudguard up front 3-4hours of crap in face will ruin your day.
2 bottles or plenty of fluid in a bak.
A couple of snacks.

I'd think 4hrs should be easily do-able for that distance, comfort will be the main thing.

Author:  ChrisR [ Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm ]

Padded cycling shorts are on the list.

I ride with a charge spoon which I find comfy.

Camelbak will have my fluids in. Then just need to sort some food for the journey.

I've no problem doing 20mile rides just need to try a few longer distance to see how I get on.

Author:  JamesM [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 am ]

Just ride at a comfortable pace and don't push yourself too hard, too often or for too long. Do that and you'll be suprised how far you can go. It's very easy to get carried away and wear yourself out early on.

Author:  N/B [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am ]

If it's going to be on a warm sunny day, perhaps take some form of Electrolyte-replenishing drink or tabs with you.
Nuun are my fave, something of a life-saver in summer here.

Author:  MikeD [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 am ]

A road bike :)

At the very least, some proper narrow slicks pumped up hard.

Author:  xerxes [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:20 am ]

20 quid for a few pints at the half way point. :D

Author:  Andy R [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 am ]

N/B wrote:
If it's going to be on a warm sunny day, perhaps take some form of Electrolyte-replenishing drink or tabs with you.
Nuun are my fave, something of a life-saver in summer here.

It certainly won't be warm, it's in March. Probably a balmy 10 degrees, if he's lucky.
Ride with a bunch, a bit of a laugh and a natter will help alleviate the boredom of forty miles of tarmac riding, plus you can take turns at the front which will push your speed up a bit, especially if you run into any headwinds.
Don't go mad for the first few miles, use them as a warm-up, and then enjoy the satisfaction of passing people who've set off at too fast a pace for them to sustain.

Author:  dyna-ti [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm ]

Something warm to put on afterwards(lightweight down jackets are superb for this and it packs really small and weighs little.
A treat is a nice thing to have at the end,something like a marsbar or even a nice flask of piping hot soup or even coffee

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm ]

Decent shorts are a must...since having bought a road bike I've been amazed at comfy good shorts are, especially bib shorts because they don't slide down as you ride.

Take plenty to eat, nibbling small amounts constantly to keep your energy levels up. I'd see how you get on with energy drinks before you take them. Personally I can't use them because they make me gag and don't seem to sit well in my stomach. Even the likes of Torq drinks that people rave about are revolting.

A few layers will be useful too...a decent base layer that wicks sweat away combined with something to keep the wind off you. I find road riding much colder than mountain bikes because you are in one position for longer.

Author:  Danone [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 am ]

As the surface will be tarmac use slick tyres for less rolling resistance, increase pressure or lockout your forks, the suspension will absorb much of that hard work from your pedaling! Be conservative but consistent with your pedaling.

Author:  saulus [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 am ]

..to shave your legs! :shock: :)

Not really.

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 am ]

saulus wrote:

Not really.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not shaving my legs!!

Right decided just to remove my bash ring and replace with an outer ring so still got the 36T middle ring as I get on well with that ratio off road. So now have a 44T outer which should be more respectable on road.

Tyres will be swapped back to dmr moto RTs for the ride can't be bothered with buying more tyres for one big road ride, and from previous experience the DMRs with a good 50psi in roll pretty well anyway.

Just need to purchase some cycling shorts and keep on getting the miles in. Did 14miles before work yesterday in 65minutes which I didn't think was too bad (fair amount of climbing on the route I took and only a 36t front ring).

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am ]

Despite buying a road bike and actually liking it, I refuse to shave my kegs too. Only downside is your hair pokes through the lycra which is not an attractive look! Especially in your nether regions!

Author:  jimo746 [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am ]

Mindmap3 wrote:
Only downside is your hair pokes through the lycra which is not an attractive look! Especially in your nether regions!

yuck!!

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am ]

Well that didn't work out.

Now running 22/32/44 will see how it goes

Author:  Signal11th [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 am ]

ChrisR wrote:
saulus wrote:

Not really.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not shaving my legs!!

Right decided just to remove my bash ring and replace with an outer ring so still got the 36T middle ring as I get on well with that ratio off road. So now have a 44T outer which should be more respectable on road.

Tyres will be swapped back to dmr moto RTs for the ride can't be bothered with buying more tyres for one big road ride, and from previous experience the DMRs with a good 50psi in roll pretty well anyway.

Just need to purchase some cycling shorts and keep on getting the miles in. Did 14miles before work yesterday in 65minutes which I didn't think was too bad (fair amount of climbing on the route I took and only a 36t front ring).

What app is that if you dont mind me asking?

Author:  S-M [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm ]

Just get some bait and fluids, some spares/tools and ride it?

Shaving legs, changing tyres?

40 miles on road is not hard :?

40 miles offroad is hard.

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 pm ]

Surely that's subjective to your fitness levels? :/

I'm sure I'll be fine, my fitness has greatly improved since starting riding again and I think nothing of riding 15+miles. Where as when I first began riding again 3-5miles was an effort!

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:44 pm ]

You'll be fine mate. I bashed out 33 miles in two hours on Sunday.

It'll be reasonably flat too.

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm ]

Signal11th wrote:

What app is that if you dont mind me asking?

App is cyclemeter. I quite happy, logs routes, distances, max speed and average, also possible to link to heart rate and cadence with compatible add ons. I use it just to track distances.

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:57 pm ]

Mindmap3 wrote:
You'll be fine mate. I bashed out 33 miles in two hours on Sunday.

It'll be reasonably flat too.

Hope you're right :lol:

Should be ok. Going to try and get a couple of hour ride in tomorrow and see how far I get.

Author:  jimo746 [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 pm ]

Just remember it's not a race, there's no rush, no need to thrash yourself to within an inch of your life.
I'd focus on comfort, comfy saddle, shorts, riding position, food, drink, drink. Did I mention drink? :lol:
I wouldn't go making any crazy changes to your bike or equipment at the last minute, just ride what you're used to :)

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 pm ]

Only changed the gearing as I think in real terms it will suit me more having a triple than have double and bash.

Happy with saddle etc.

I've got a 3l bladder in my camelbak... Should be enough!

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm ]

A big ring will make a difference...off road I haven't missed a 44 tooth ring for years buy on the road, I seem to spend an awful lot of time in the big ring.

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm ]

That's my exact reason for refitting one.

Was hoping to keep the 36t but unfortunately it didn't seem to like shifting back from the 44 down to the 36 and kept getting jammed between the two.

Not sure if that was due to something I've done or just a case of the 36 isn't designed to work like that :?:

Author:  dyl [ Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm ]

S-M wrote:
40 miles on road is not hard :?

40 miles offroad is hard.

40 miles on road is hard if you're in Ghana.

Attachments:
IMG_1816_sm.jpg
IMG_1816_sm.jpg [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 79 times ]

Author:  dyl [ Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:06 pm ]

(probably a bit easier in Berkshire)

Author:  ChrisR [ Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 pm ]

Looks like more fun in Ghana though!

Author:  Woz [ Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm ]

...and less congested.

Author:  Tazio [ Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm ]

Another tip is to try to be aware of your cadence all the time. I find that as I get more tired I tend to forget about it and find myself pushing too big a gear on occasion. However the more I ride on road the better I get at keeping spinning without thinking about it.

Author:  Jono_blackheart [ Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm ]

I'd be very tempted to loose the camelbak and go for 2x 750ml bottles and cages and a large saddlebag for misc stuff - easier on the back!

Author:  ChrisR [ Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm ]

I'm sticking with the camelbak.

My 456 only has one set of bottle mounts for a start lol.

I dipped out on the London to reading due to travelling problems (my van was driven in to so currently being repaired). Spoke to the nice people at the BHF and they very kindly offered me the Dorset bike ride which is pretty local to me so I transferred my entry from the London to reading ride to doing the Dorset bike ride. I've chosen the 50mile ride as I didn't think the 25 would be enough of a challenge for me.

After doing a few longer rides I'm keeping my bike as is (it's got an outer chainring on now instead of a bash ring). I'm comfortable with it and realistically unless its mega hilly (which I doubt as its aimed at some people will be doing it with little training/fitness preperation) then I shouldn't have a problem.

Author:  toomanyframes [ Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm ]

@ChrisR. Who did you speak to at bhf as I've entered the London to Brighton day ride but am trying to get transferred over to the night ride. I've phoned and emailed them but so far have heard nothing do may be asking the wrong people. :(

Author:  ChrisR [ Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 pm ]

It was just the events team I contacted.

Number is 0800 169 3672

Author:  joe careless [ Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:01 am ]

Take bog roll, a few zip ties and some gaffa tape.
Bog roll is the most overlooked item and if you pack a lighter you can burn it 'after use' if you are in the countryside. Burning reduces littering.
zip ties and tape are handy do all items, including first aid

Author:  S-M [ Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm ]

I expect the OP has done the ride by now, but i am still a bit miffed.

Seriously, i dont understand some of the folk in this thread, i am currently 17.5 stone, i used to be 21 stone, i am not a small chap by any means, but 40 miles on road is not really a hard ride :| its only "hard" if you twaddle along and spend hours upon hours doing it (then it can hurt your hoop a bit)

The missus has booked us a night away at the end of may for my birthday, the only problem is its a 70 mile ride to get to it and a 70 mile ride the following day to get back, i am expecting that to be a bit of a pain (literally) i might even fit some slick/spare/commute tyres to the 99 FSR (well she has hybrid tyres on her bike lol) seams a waste to wear down my new Conti Mountainking/Rubber Queen combo.

The most i have done on a ride so far was a 58 miler last summer, that was mostly road/path stuff around the NE coastline and was not so bad, but the missus likes to go at a slower pace so it means more saddle time (hence a sore hoop)

The missus did this 140 miler over two days last summer and she hardly rides her bike much at all (she did say it was hard for her though)

Author:  S-M [ Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm ]

Tazio wrote:
Another tip is to try to be aware of your cadence all the time. I find that as I get more tired I tend to forget about it and find myself pushing too big a gear on occasion. However the more I ride on road the better I get at keeping spinning without thinking about it.

This!

I find i can spin all day as long as i am spinning at quite a fast pace, it just seams a hell of a lot easier on the legs then pushing big gears and turning slower, energy management!

Author:  ChrisR [ Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm ]

S-M wrote:
I expect the OP has done the ride by now, but i am still a bit miffed.

Seriously, i dont understand some of the folk in this thread, i am currently 17.5 stone, i used to be 21 stone, i am not a small chap by any means, but 40 miles on road is not really a hard ride :| its only "hard" if you twaddle along and spend hours upon hours doing it (then it can hurt your hoop a bit.

Not done it just yet. Had to change the ride I'm doing due to issues with travelling, now doing the Dorset bike ride for the British heart foundation on 28th of this month. Opted for 50miles (25 didn't seem enough of a challenge).

Thanks for the tip on keeping cadence, I to have been guilty of just grinding away when tired rather than keeping cadence up like I should. Although gradually getting better.

Author:  S-M [ Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:05 pm ]

Not long back from the shop for beer supplies after todays ride.

41 miles :D but it includes a huge amount of offroad work, ploughed fields, various boggy/swampy mud baths in the woods and a set of DH tracks that took me 17 miles to reach in the first place (and i was quite disappointed by them after riding to them :( )

Knackered, but i now have beer and some homemade bacon muffins with spicy ketchup on them, ommm nommm! :D

The mighty 99 FSR Elite seamed a bit creaky near the end though, think the front forks are past there best :(

Author:  The History Man [ Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm ]

Is that an app? If so what and will it run on my iphone4? was going to get a bracket for my garmin etrex until i saw that????

Just saw it was cyclemeter. Does it eat battery? My golf rangefinder on does so was wondering?

Author:  ChrisR [ Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm ]

It uses a fair amount of battery if you're out for a day. Although most places I'm heading to have a charger so I don't tend to worry to much.

Author:  S-M [ Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:15 pm ]

Try putting your phone into "airplane" mode, it should let gps apps still work, but save a hell of a lot of battery!

I use it all the time on my android phone and i am pretty sure the missus uses it on her iphone (not sure which model it is)

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:06 pm ]

Does that still enable the GPS function to work?

I use Map My Run because it lets me track my running as well as road and MTB, but it kills the battery on my phone.

Author:  reanimation [ Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 pm ]

I think it's fair enough to ask tips, not everyone can do a distance or even a gnarly off road ride, every one has a start point or difficulties. I'm not too bad but seem to dehydrate or run out of steam too easy after a mega ride. Get like a hangover following post ride fatigue. Might be cos I'm tall and slim so don't retain much fat or water summat like that, good sleep, relaxing and awareness of energy consumption as stated. also where road riding is concerned outside of commuting I've yet to try it proper, hoping to pop my road cherry on a retro or tourer this summer maybe. Keep the great tips coming all. 8)

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm ]

reanimation wrote:
I think it's fair enough to ask tips, not everyone can do a distance or even a gnarly off road ride, every one has a start point or difficulties. I'm not too bad but seem to dehydrate or run out of steam too easy after a mega ride. Get like a hangover following post ride fatigue. Might be cos I'm tall and slim so don't retain much fat or water summat like that, good sleep, relaxing and awareness of energy consumption as stated. also where road riding is concerned outside of commuting I've yet to try it proper, hoping to pop my road cherry on a retro or tourer this summer maybe. Keep the great tips coming all. 8)

I agree.

I find my fuel and hydration needs on my road bike very different to the mountain bike. I happily badged out 48 miles on Good Friday with one water bottle and a couple of energy bars. On a much shorter off road ride I'll easily get through two litres of fluid. I've only just started road riding, so am learning as I go...but have so far really enjoyed it!

My big thing on road is keeping warm...I really struggle. On my mountain bikes I always ride in shorts, a base layer/jersey and may be a gillet or a jacket. On the road, I've really struggled to keep warm over the last few weeks despite donning bib tights, base layer, jersey, wind proof jacket thing and shoe covers.

As others have said, cadence is important but so is just relaxing and enjoying it. Don't get too hung up on the details or what everyone else is up to. You'll be fine.

Author:  ChrisR [ Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:17 pm ]

Thanks guys.

3 weeks to go as of tomorrow. Going out for a ride in the morning. Going to see if I can crack the 50mile mark. I'll report back with the results :)

Author:  ChrisR [ Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm ]

Managed 45 miles this morning with relative ease. Approximately 17 off road miles and 28 on road. Least I know I'm capable of that sort of distance anyway.

My crowning moment was riding up a gradual climb to be overtaken by a bloke on a specialized stumpjumper HT... How far have you done this morning.. I'll of done 15miles by the time I get home.. I replied I was on just under 40 at that point...
He mentioned something about his efforts being inadequate but I was too busy feeling smug lol.

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:54 pm ]

Good effort. You'll be fine on the real thing, just enjoy it.

Author:  ChrisR [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 am ]

Just a little update.

Did my charity ride last weekend (28th April).

Managed 53.2miles in 3hours 45minutes. Average speed 14.17mph.

Quite happy with that as an added bonus raised just over £350 for the British heart foundation :)

Author:  Mindmap3 [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 am ]

We'll done mate, that's not too shabby on an MTB.

I average about 16 miles an hour on my road bike (which I know isn't that quick compared to some guys, but I'm not a real roady). Although I am just about to head out on a road ride.

Author:  ChrisR [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 am ]

Yea there was a few road riders I had no hope of sticking with.

I kept my 2.2 mountain kings on. And just pumped them up to 35psi. :)

Was quite pleased with the average speed over that time/distance.