Truing a bent wheel

Mrtennis

Dirt Disciple
So I took new build out on it's first big ride on Saturday, 21 miles on and off road. Got round to cleaning it up today and making adjustment etc and I was gutted to find that it seems that possibly both wheels my be slightly bent.
So, how easy is it to true a wheel? I read a couple of articles online, one on sheldon brown, and that one especially made it sound ridiculously complicated. I got confused but it made it sound like I should be going round the whole wheel and adjusting every spoke, not just ones where the wheel seems bent.
Then I found this video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eOamGK2tY
I have to say this guy made it sound pretty simple and I think I could give that a go. I did build the bike myself so I have some knowledge and ability. Or will it be safer to take them to a bike shop? They would be the first part of my "project" that I would have had to do that with!
Just a bit gutted as they seem to have got bent on my first proper ride. The wheels were second hand to me but seemed fine when I was building the bike. Another thing I noticed on Sheldon Brown was that possibly all spokes can need tightning in some cases. Could that have been the problem originally and that's why they got bent? I don't remember any extremely hard bumps etc on the ride so they seem to have got bent quite easily - they are mavic x517 with hope hubs. I use v-brakes so want them as perfect as possible.
Lastly, I may just be the impression I've had over the years, but is it a sign of bad things to come once you start having to straighten wheels? Will they be going out of true often???
Any help much appreciated!

It is not difficult, but practice definitely helps. Do no more than half a turn at first. In time you will get the feel of what is needed.

hamster":7p5sx6c8 said:
It is not difficult, but practice definitely helps. Do no more than half a turn at first. In time you will get the feel of what is needed.

Thanks for the reply.
I just don't want to end up ruining the wheel, is that possible at all?

You will have a hard time ruining it beyond an LBS' ability to fix it, so go ahead. Sometimes all it needs is a few turns, other times you'll spend half an hour to get it somewhat straight. So set aside an afternoon, put on some good music and make sure you have plenty of coffee/beer/soda on standby.

As for how to true a wheel, each person has his own method. Unfortunately I'm struggling to explain mine in English.

Id say do no more than quarter turns at most. I find i only really use half turns for doing even tension all round (once wheel is true but under tensioned) and putting it together.
Smaller adjustments are easier to correct if they are wrong. Softly softly.

Thanks for the video link.

I feel inspired to have a go at sorting my rear wheel which has been slightly buckled since I bought them (they were pre-loved).

Antfox":21rnx326 said:
I was always told three spokes at a time .

That's how I do it. Quarter turn on the middle of the bent area, 1/8 turn on the next spokes on that side. If that isn't enough, I'll check spoke tension to determine if I need to tighten them or loosen the other side.

Raging_Bulls":tm84boj8 said:
Antfox":tm84boj8 said:
I was always told three spokes at a time .

That's how I do it. Quarter turn on the middle of the bent area, 1/8 turn on the next spokes on that side. If that isn't enough, I'll check spoke tension to determine if I need to tighten them or loosen the other side.

That's exactly it !

Back