1st ride of the year

corsarob

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
went out today for the first time this year,not been on a proper ride for a long long time,

well i was all kitted up,sat there in the sleet,and thought,just go for it,after only a mile or so

my legs started to burn,i was starting to sweat and i had to stop,weird,anyway,had a rest for 5 mins

and then carried on,a couple of hundred yards further on before we had even hit anything tricky

and i had to stop again,this time i actually puked,never done that on my bike before,ever.

waited 15 mins and carried on,about a hundred yards further on and that was me done,

i couldnt believe it,what is going on with me,i know i bit over weight and not as fit as i was 20 years ago,

but i just felt embarassed for my short comings,still can hardly believe it now,i must be coming down

with something,oh well,more excercise needed me thinks. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unlucky...I've been sick a few times but that's because I've been on the sauce the night before.

I think you do get days when you just don't feel fit or strong and suffer. Other days you feel great.

if i had been on the sauce i could understand,but i have been on call till 8 am today,

and i hope its a one off,the wife will kill me for spending money on bits that i`m not gonna use. :cry: :cry:

I found it tough having had a couple of years not riding...I was fat and really unfit when I bought the SX frame. I started running at the beginning of last year which helped a bit, but I was still shocked at how slow I was on my first ride out.

I'm still not particularly fit, but am getting there. Do you do much else exercise wise? I personally find hat running really helps me.

When I returned to bikes, after a ten year break, I spoke to a friend, who's a little older than me and an extremely experienced competitor.

His advice was to ride like a granddad, and only do short loops of a couple of miles. Keep this up as often as I felt fit enough and gradually push myself harder and further.

Rides that felt like lung burning epic journeys then, would hardly even count as a warm up now, in less than twelve months; in fact, just before Christmas, I did my first ever 50 mile road ride, having only ridden mtb's off and on since the late 80's.

It's amazing how your body shuts down after no exercise......but muscles and your heart and lungs will build back up over time.

I try and ride each day or every other day, despite winter being my busy time at work....if I didn't its like being back to square one once warmer days are here.

Keep it up matey.

misteroo":2w7bbabb said:
Wanna be part of an unfit 10 man team at Mountain Mayhem??

i am really unfit,i can walk for hours,but riding today just seemed to kill me,i bet i hadnt even ridden more than 5 mins when i started to feel unwell and sweat,just weird. :?: :?:

My first ride after 10 years of not riding was the Diggle Jiggle in Saddleworth..

Prepared by having a kebab and 8 pints the night before, also having a bike way to small for me.

within 2 miles i'd puked up & nearly passed out :oops: :oops: :oops: , full on dry wretching & everything

ended up having a few minutes out and then taking it easy for the rest of the ride, frequent stops & more frequent water..

Still super unfit and overweight, climbs are more like pushes but at least I enjoy the downhills..

Just keep trying, fitness doesnt happen overnight, 33 years old and thinking im 20 again doesnt help either..

GOOD LUCK

Back