Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1st ride of the year
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 am 
Retro Guru

Pyro Tim wrote:
I'd recommend wearing less, if you were sweating buckets. I wear a t-shirt, a hoody and a lightweight windproof top, and that's too much for me sometimes in the past few weeks. In the snow I wore 2 t-shirts, and that was about right for the pace. I wasn't cold at any point, apart from my feet.

Short rides regularly will help build up your fitness

yeh,i had my base layers,t-shirt and showerproof coat and waterproof pants,not sure if it was riding with a full face helmet that might of done it,years ago i never wore a helmet,i just have too many responsibillitys with kids,mortgage and wife,(in that order). :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I meant 2 t-shirts, hoody and windproof by the way, not advocating going out in t-shirts only :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am 
Retro Guru

whatever suits buddy,i think it was a a few things all put together that finished me off today. :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

In 5 months, with steady work, you'll be as fit as a flea.

Once I thought I was getting fitter I did a couple of retro rides that showed me two things, first, that most retro riders are much younger than me, and the second, that most retro riders are / were a lot fitter than me.

If you are in your 30's, you'll pick fitness up very quickly, as if I can do it, so can you. I should add, I was 54 last week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 pm 
Retro Guru

NeilM wrote:

Once I thought I was getting fitter I did a couple of retro rides that showed me two things, first, that most retro riders are much younger than me, and the second, that most retro riders are / were a lot fitter than me.

If you are in your 30's, you'll pick fitness up very quickly, as if I can do it, so can you. I should add, I was 54 last week.

42 in may,wish i was in my 30`s,keep trying i will,dont know about being fit as a flee,but i will try again. :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

corsarob wrote:
42 in may,wish i was in my 30`s,keep trying i will,dont know about being fit as a flee,but i will try again. :D :D

I've still got twelve years on you.

Just take it steady, and get out on a regular basis, even if it's just for 20 to 30 minutes to start with. It won't be long before you're pushing the distances.

Also, don't forget the cold weather will make it feel a bit harder, but it's nice to get the sharp air into your lungs.

I'd also be inclined to lose the full face, and just get a nice light bike helmet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm 
Retro Guru

yeh,i have my old specialized air pirahna in the shed,i will wear that next time and lose the base layers aswell,but yeh,i`m gonna go for a little spin tomorrow along the canals in failsworth as my last jobs are down that way most days,even though my van has a tracker on it,i will just leave it aty a rest home and nobody will think twice. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I had a bit of a layers fail today. It was bloody freezing so I decided to go for T shirt, undershirt, fleece and a waterproof. Then finished the outfit off with skullcap under the helmet, two pairs of socks and Sealskinz gloves.

Within 5 minutes I realised I had been way too pessimistic. Luckily I had a rucksack so the heavy gloves and my buff came off and I wan't too bad as I could moderate my temperature by moving various zips up and down. Just as well as I had 4 different rides on the days business of between 3 and 5 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

corsarob wrote:
NeilM wrote:

What date in May??? I'm 42 on the 5th!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 am 
Retro Guru

that makes you older than me,mine aint till the 26th. :P :P :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next