1998 Rock Shox Sid rebuild problem

unbobfinch

Dirt Disciple
I just picked up a 98 Rock Shox Sid. I'm trying to remove the lower legs but the bolt on the bottom of the left leg just spins. Here's what I've tried. I let the air out of the shocks then loosened the bolts and tapped them with a rubber mallet. The bolt in the right leg came out just fine but the left leg would just spin. I couldn't loosen or tighten it. I removed the top cap and the air piston spins when I try to turn the shaft bolt in the left leg. I pulled the air piston out and can see that the neutral shaft just spins when I turn the shaft bolt on the left leg. I can tighten everything up if I stick an allen wrench on the air piston and then tighten the shaft bolt but no luck going the other direction. I've tried to search for a solution without any luck. Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas how to remove this bolt so I can get the lower legs off? Should the neutral shaft be spinning like this?

the best way i've found to do this.. is to extend the fork fully.. and then apply a little more pressure (as if you where going to remove the lowers) and keep that pressure applied as you undo the bolt...

it my help if you get someone to help you do this.. and don't apply a huge amount of pressure.. you don't want to rip the fork apart! just enough to stop the neutral shaft from spinning..

the idea is that the pulling pressure should top the fork out against the topout spring and hold the neutral shaft in place stopping it from spinning..

I have a 1998 SID, and one leg is loosing air at the air plug valve. (at the top)
The 98 uses an air valve system just like a basketball.

So i need a new air plug, which is just a little cylindrical rubber thingy.
Anyone know where I can find one, or some DIY method like using some rubber from a rubber ducky ? :)

If I don't find a air plug, I'm thinking about drilling the top cap, and insert a auto valve, and making it stick and not loose air.

The simplest method would getting some air plugs with classic air valves from a later SID.
But cant find any in my area.

Back