Can anyone help me out shortening a bolt please?

thefunkymunki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone help me out shortening a bolt please? I don't have the equipment to do it myself.

What has happened is... I bought a frame with irregular sized rear brake bosses, M6. After scouring here, the internet and eBay I finally found some replacement bosses in M6. The trouble is that the threaded part is far too long for my frame. I had a go with some bolt cutter but it made a right arse of the bolt so I had to get another pair.

Does anyone have the right equipment to shorten 2 of them for me please? I would abviously pay postage both ways and chuck a bit of karma your way too.

Much appreciated.

Wind an M6 nut on past where you want to cut, then hacksaw to the desired length. When you wind the nut back of it should clean up any damage to the end of the thread made by the hacksaw.

Had the same problem a while back with a Gary Fisher frame. Got some replacements from the local Trek dealer but were too long and the Trek dealer wouldn't return them. Took them down to the local metal fabrication shop and the owner cut them to size on the spot in about 2 minutes flat. When I tried to pay he told me he has known my father-in-law since Adam was a pup and it was therefore his pleasure to do such a simple job gratis. Beauty, a win, another 150-200 like that and I'll be back all square!

this isn't about shortening a bolt but a v-brake pivot which may be made of hardened steel so a hacksaw may struggle.
an angle grinder would fix that, if you struggle, post over to me and I can do it for you.

Back