Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

i have some disc brakes (Shimano Deore Brakes BR-M486, super cheap from CRC) that need the levers swapping over and the hose for the rear lengthened.

for the lever swapping, which parts can be reused?
i.e. taking the hoses off the lever end, which parts can be reused? i understand the compression olives cannot, but what about o-ring seals, inserts (or are these non removable because they are barbed?), shroud nuts etc. can these be reused if undamaged? or are they all unsepearable? (i'll only be taking the hose off the lever end for the front brake).

for the rear, the hose needs to be longer, so i will be taking the hose off the lever and caliper end. again, which parts can be reused?

trying to do this to keep the cost down, but will be getting a quote from my LBS to see if its much more expensive so have them do it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

I used Shimano XT rear hoses from CRC as they have the right crimped on caliper end, bought them at the same time as the Deore set as i knew i would need them.
I used new o-rings on the caliper end and that was it. I found the lever ends to not be done up paricularily tight so i reused everything. Nothing has shown any signs of leakage in about 200 miles of snow, ice, mud and filth :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master

every thing can be re-used, including the insert that fits into the host except ads you rightly point out the olive. these get crushed as part of the fitting process to make the seal.

.... actually if you are swapping hoses over, you may get away with the same olive - when I said you cannot re-use it, I meant you cannot remove it without damaging it as usually I shorten the hoses on any bikes I have bought.

measure the hose twice before cutting and if you are not sure, cut it slightly longer then remove 10 mm at a time tiral fit it until you are happy.

don't forget to fit rubber cover, hollow nut and olive before fitting the insert. hold the hose 20 mm from the end in the plastic hose clamp block and tap the inset in with a hammer.

use a craft knife to cut the hose, a drop of water (or spit) or brake fluid on the blade makes it easier to cut.

once the insert is in, push the olive to the end of the host and push the end into the lever then do up the hollow bolt. do the hollow bolt medium tight so as not to risk breaking anythhing or stripping the thread in the lever - it does not need a huge amount of force for a seal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Are the fittings all standard? will any olive, insert & nut work with my Formula RX hose?

(sorry for the Hijack!)