Recommend a Fork for a 2000 RSP Ti & Pace or Marzocchi??

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Need a fork recommendation for a 2000 Raleigh RSP Titanium hardtail (Torus/Timet in raw Ti colour)

My budget is under £100, preferably around the £80 mark.
Light weight, will be fitting Magura HS33 so rim brake bosses, and no blues or reds or greens colours, I'd rather silver, black, Gold, would consider yellow !!
Around 80mm travel.

I was thinking Pace RC36 Evo III or Pro Class II.
I've put in a bid for some RC36 Pro Class II - can steerers be changed on these?

How about some Marzocchi from around 2001? What's difference between Z1, 2, 3 , 4 etc?

Or any other suggestion dating AFTER 2000 (not a full retro build) ??

There were still plenty of shorter travel Bombers from that era.

Avoid the Z1 as they were longer travel forks (either 100 or 130mm). A Z2 would be a good bet...you can get them in Atom format which are a bit lighter and pretty sure they were black and silver in 2000.

The good thing about them is that they are dead easy to service and parts are still available from the UK Bike Store.

The higher the number of the Bomber, the lower in the range they are so you start to loose adjustment such as rebound.

Pretty sure you can change the steerers in Pace of that era, but am not really up on Pace forks.

You could try a pair of Fox F80's...they're grey or black and the earlier ones had canti mounts. The early Floats can have their travel reduced to 80mm by playing with the internal spacers. The only downside to the early Fox forks is the sealing wasn't great so many suffer from worn stanchions.

Check with member justbackdated about changing the steerer on the RC36. I seem to remember the EVO can and the EVO Pro's can't, but I could be wrong.

Also watch the A to C on the EVO's as they are longer than the older RC35's.

Sids, although you might be hitting the top of your price range as really good ones seem to be making big money at the moment. Otherwise Z2's would be a good call, although very good condition ones don't come up very often, especially if you want original decals etc.

How come you aren't going to be running discs? it seems a shame to waste the disc mount on the frame!

I haven't got disc hubs. Both mechs and hubs are xtr m900. Mavic 231 rims.
Shifters are M008's with polished xlite stem and bars and syncros forged cranks. Ringle rings. Hs33 brakes and frame is titanium colour.
So want something matching, not too modern, say late 90ies to 2003.

The marzocchi z2's look like a good bet. Or any other zocchi's which could fit my requirements?

I wonder how these compare to similar aged Pace eg rc36 Evo iii or pro class II. Or manitou skareb?

Fox prob too expensive and I don't like their colours and looks.

I've never ridden the Pace forks, but the Srarebs are rubbish...Manitou frm that era are pretty suspect. I'd give a wide birth if I were you.

Anyone ?

Pace RC36 Evo III, pro class 2, rc38 or rc39. Vs. Marzocchi z2 2002 xfly 2002 or marathon sl??

ibbz":3kndrw1g said:
Anyone ?

Pace RC36 Evo III, pro class 2, rc38 or rc39. Vs. Marzocchi z2 2002 xfly 2002 or marathon sl??

I'd go for the bombers. They'll be a bit heavier, but forks of that era are famous for being bomb proof. They still feel nice today and are easy to service.

Re: Recommend a Fork for a 2000 RSP Ti & Pace or Marzocc

ibbz":gb899quf said:
Around 80mm travel.

I was thinking Pace RC36 Evo III or Pro Class II.
I've put in a bid for some RC36 Pro Class II - can steerers be changed on these?

How about some Marzocchi from around 2001? What's difference between Z1, 2, 3 , 4 etc?
(not a full retro build) ??

Of the Pace forks, Pro Class II are the ones to go for. There are bad leakage problems with Evo IIs and Evo IIIs.
RC38 Air Force forks work well but are not very laterally stiff.

Now I know you're going for a UK project sort of ish so Pace is the logical choice.

However the best fork for small money will be Marzocchi Z2s. They outperform Pace - just a lot heavier. I sold mine on as I had nothing to use them for. But they were very good. Z2 Superflys are good too - but a lot less plush (still have them on my Parkpre)

Back