Tell me about bottom brackets

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've got a problem with my 97/98 zaskar.

It's currently sporting an isis bb (73 mm) I think with some fsa afterburner cranks. Every time I ride the damn thing the cranks work loose and fall off despite how much I tighten the bolts. The bolts and bb were bought new. The threads on the cranks look ok to me.

I'm about to give up and buy some new cranks unless anyone's got any Advice.

Second part is that I've seen some hollowtech II xt cranks. Can I fit these to my zaskar? The come bundled with a new 68/73mm bottom bracket but I don't know enough about whether they're compatible with my frame.

Thanks all
TL

I'd say the problem is probably with the BB/bolts rather than the cranks. What sort of BB is it? I had this problem with FSA BBs, but now I have an SKF, I don't! Have you tried threadlock on the bolts

Hollow tech XT is so much nicer, in terms of looks and performance, I'd do that (as CCE said, it'll work with your frame) Just fit one of the three supplied spacers on the drive side, no need for the other two with a 73 shell.

Can't help with your ISIS conundrum - strong Loctite maybe??

I had a lot of trouble with isis. Got to do them up so tight but be careful nto to round them. Im talking leverage bar on an allen key but careful not to round them as i have had to cut a crank off due to this.

Back