Modern Suspension forks with 1" steerer?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I have a retro frame with a 1" headtube, I want to go all "neo-retro" or whatever and fit modern components to it, for the most part it's not a problem, but the 1" headtube has me scratching my head.

What are the most modern-ist forks that will have a 1" threadless steerer?
Bike is to be used for xc/marathon/all day rides etc...

Obvious answer is Marzocchi who do a 1" in certain forks or on their older forks with clamp fit steerers you can get 1" steerers to fit. I believe Suntour might also be someone to look up and not just on their cheapo forks. Also the rather burly DNM Comet XCA 80mm travel airfork you can get really cheap on ebay NOS from time to time has a Marzocchi style clamp fit crown that takes marzocchi steerers.

Not sure about new forks, but I know that in 2005 you could get the Marzocchi MX series with a one inch steerer.

Don't see many come up for sale though.

Mindmap3":3dvv8fls said:
Not sure about new forks, but I know that in 2005 you could get the Marzocchi MX series with a one inch steerer.

Don't see many come up for sale though.

Sold a set on here not long back.

Hmmnnmnmm... I thought this might be tricky...

I have a set of Pace RC38 forks, which are fairly new by my standards :LOL: but was hoping that maybe one of the big manufacturers (Rock Shox/DT Swiss/Fox etc) might have something, or even something with a replacable steerer so that I might be able to have a 1" steerer and shim fabricated... or are they all bonded in/one piece designs nowadays?

I will look into Suntour, some of their newer high end stuff is apparently very good.

Will also look at the RC39, had a set in the past so know these forks quite well, did the RC40/41 xcam forks have the option of 1" steerer as well?

Still got no further with this, Marzocchi did do the MX Comp/Pro with a 1" steerer, but to be honest I don't think they'd be any better than the Pace RC38/39 for my needs.
Anything remotely modern all has 1" 1/8th or tapered steerers.

The obvious solution would be to get the headtube replaced with a 1" 1/8th tube, but as the frame had only just had a full respray before I bought it I'm loathe to do that, so in the interim I'm sending the RC38's I have off for service to Fork English and get a 1" steerer as well, and in a few years time I'll look at getting the head tube changed I think.

Rockshox SID's were available in 1" steerer, but only up to 2000MY if memory serves.

There's some reasonably modern 'zocchi' forks listed in eBay yesterday, but I think if you want anything brand new you're gonna struggle.

GT-Steve":8bon3q03 said:
Rockshox SID's were available in 1" steerer, but only up to 2000MY if memory serves.

There's some reasonably modern 'zocchi' forks listed in eBay yesterday, but I think if you want anything brand new you're gonna struggle.

Thanks Steve, just looked on Ebay and there is indeed a pair of Bomber MX Comp ETA with a 1" steerer.
Quite tempted by these but I know my Pace are much lighter, although have less travel (not such a big deal for me).

My idea is to build up my retro frame with the best (in my view) parts from across the years, and when it comes to suspension then modern is without a doubt much better I think.

Crikey! :shock: put in a cheeky Best Offer on those zocchi forks and it was accepted :D

that's that sorted for a while then :)

Back