Hope Brakes

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i've been subtly admiring the Hope brakes from a far thinking i can't justify the cost etc, but recently i've been drawn ever so much closer to them, realising the quality of their components (and their customer service and support), so much so i am planning to save up and get myself a set of them.
i've never had a new set of brakes or a matching set for that matter.
Been trying to get hold of a matching set of XT M755 brakes for a while now, but the price that the most recent set went for on ebay got me thinking my money would be better spent on some new or nearly new Hope brakes.
So, what i'd like to discuss is the following:

Looking at their website, i'm thinking of the following setup:

Hope M4 up front with 180 rotor
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG150
Hope mono mini on the back with 160 rotor
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG149

is this a decent set up in terms of XC riding? never really put much consideration into a brake setup before, so some advice/knowledge would be appreciated - plus, whats the difference between open and closed brake systems? is it to do with the reservoir on the lever?

:)

don't need an m4 for xc really.

i use mini's on both my xc bikes, one with 160 rotors and one with 160/140, that said ideally i'd go 180/160. i always used to run 180/160 but a fork swap forced a swapping of some brake parts and the easiest thing to do was run 160/160 on one bike and change my trail centre bike to 180/180, the 160/140 set up is ok but a lack of power on the rear 140 rotor.

not overly fussed about the braided hose but the floating rotors are nice if you get them.

the best thing i think about hope is the spares availability, you'll be able to get spares of any part for a long time, unlike other brakes where you have to buy an assembly as opposed to the individual part,

that said there will be someone else along in a minute to tell you hope don't have the power, they squeal, xyz are better etc, but it's all just opinions

yawn yawn etc.

never had any issues that maintenance and correct set up didn't solve and i've ridden these things all over the place in some crappy conditions

also nearly all brakes are open system now meaning they have an expansion chamber so that heating up the fluid doesn't become an issue. closed systems haven't been made by hope for years

I had some mini's on an old bike and they were great. I've got tech m4's on my current bike and they're even better, best brakes I've had. I am a bit heavy though.

Either way you'll be happy as Hope brakes are by far the best imo and I've tried a few. :cool:

I'm not a fan of Hope brakes myself but the spares a availability is amazing, even for old brakes. I can still get all the parts for my original Mini's (which are for sale) and my M4's.

I converted to Shimano some time ago ( value for money, ease if set up, best shaped lever blade ever ) but the lack of spares is a pain. But then again, they are so cheap they are almost disposable.

Back in the day, when I used Hope brakes, I always went M4 180 front, Mono 160 rear. It's nice to have a bit extra on the front.

Had one M4's for a year , 180/180 with floating rotors,braided hoses, can't fault them, love the feel of quality.
So much so that I've just picked up some stealth X2's will look stunning in pure black.these are 180/160 non braided.

Love Hope brakes.

At the moment I'm using trusty Hope C2's with 203/180 due to using PM forks (IS caliper so 180 didn't fit properly).

However I'm just about to upgrade to my freshly serviced Hope M4's (originals). I have high expectations of them and I'm hoping they have a lot more bite than my C2s. Not that there is anything wrong with the C2s, they're just going on my back up bike. :)

Tech M4s on 3 bikes and can't fault them. Run a 203 front and 183 rear on my full sus and 183, 183 on the others. Fantastic brakes and love the Tech levers. I am 14.5 stone.

Back