Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 pm 
Mr Benn
Mr Benn
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 7200
Location: Omnipresent
Haing just shot a feature on Hope and spent a couple of days up there with them, i would recommend anyone buys their brakes if for just their business ethos alone.

Wonderful refreshing outlook, great product, supported well and all done in house to v high stds and ethics. Nice people.

G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Near a tree, by a river in a hole in the ground....
nathb wrote:
Love Hope brakes.

At the moment I'm using trusty Hope C2's with 203/180 due to using PM forks (IS caliper so 180 didn't fit properly).

However I'm just about to upgrade to my freshly serviced Hope M4's (originals). I have high expectations of them and I'm hoping they have a lot more bite than my C2s. Not that there is anything wrong with the C2s, they're just going on my back up bike. :)


You'll be sadly disappointed....

Worst thing I ever did was selling my C2's and following fashion to Enduro / M4's.... The 4 pot was never as strong or adjustable as the C2, slightly better for racing as resisted fade better but i wasnt always racing my bike..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm
Posts: 1953
Location: Staffordshire
boxxer wrote:
nathb wrote:
Love Hope brakes.

At the moment I'm using trusty Hope C2's with 203/180 due to using PM forks (IS caliper so 180 didn't fit properly).

However I'm just about to upgrade to my freshly serviced Hope M4's (originals). I have high expectations of them and I'm hoping they have a lot more bite than my C2s. Not that there is anything wrong with the C2s, they're just going on my back up bike. :)


You'll be sadly disappointed....

Worst thing I ever did was selling my C2's and following fashion to Enduro / M4's.... The 4 pot was never as strong or adjustable as the C2, slightly better for racing as resisted fade better but i wasnt always racing my bike..


I had the opposite experience; I never really got on with the C2's that I had but loved my E4's. They really were some of the best brakes that I've had. I've never had a set of DH4's that the E4's replaced so can't comment on them.

The first M4's which had the Mini lever are not a patch on the E4's that I had. The pair I have on my hardtail are possibly the worst brakes I've ever had.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 6:53 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Ealing, London
Mindmap3 wrote:
boxxer wrote:
nathb wrote:
Love Hope brakes.

At the moment I'm using trusty Hope C2's with 203/180 due to using PM forks (IS caliper so 180 didn't fit properly).

However I'm just about to upgrade to my freshly serviced Hope M4's (originals). I have high expectations of them and I'm hoping they have a lot more bite than my C2s. Not that there is anything wrong with the C2s, they're just going on my back up bike. :)


You'll be sadly disappointed....

Worst thing I ever did was selling my C2's and following fashion to Enduro / M4's.... The 4 pot was never as strong or adjustable as the C2, slightly better for racing as resisted fade better but i wasnt always racing my bike..


I had the opposite experience; I never really got on with the C2's that I had but loved my E4's. They really were some of the best brakes that I've had. I've never had a set of DH4's that the E4's replaced so can't comment on them.

The first M4's which had the Mini lever are not a patch on the E4's that I had. The pair I have on my hardtail are possibly the worst brakes I've ever had.


Hmm mixed reviews then!

My C2s aren't going anywhere just yet.

I'm going to test these for a month and decide which go up for sale.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
I've run pretty much every Hope brake ever made except for XC4s, V2s and the new V4s and the original cablebrake.

Point of view on Hope is
Shimano XT brakes will do the same as Techs. But cost more. So why bother?
Hope customer service is legendary.
Parts availability is the best in the bike trade, anywhere in the world, barring possibly King, period.

Depending on where you are riding, Uunderpowering your rear brake is a mistake in my book. These brakes are so good you will ride faster - and at some point will find that 160 rotors will reult in fade. Am running 160 Minis and 160 C2s on my Paces, which only get used in Denmark. But my Fully (with Tech M4s) that gets taken to the gnarly stuff and to real mountains, then 180 F&R. 180F and 160R was not enough in Provence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
Match rotors! Even if it is just fr visuals. Brake bias is per person though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm
Posts: 1953
Location: Staffordshire
dbmtb wrote:
I've run pretty much every Hope brake ever made except for XC4s, V2s and the new V4s and the original cablebrake.

Point of view on Hope is
Shimano XT brakes will do the same as Techs. But cost more. So why bother?
Hope customer service is legendary.
Parts availability is the best in the bike trade, anywhere in the world, barring possibly King, period.

Depending on where you are riding, Uunderpowering your rear brake is a mistake in my book. These brakes are so good you will ride faster - and at some point will find that 160 rotors will reult in fade. Am running 160 Minis and 160 C2s on my Paces, which only get used in Denmark. But my Fully (with Tech M4s) that gets taken to the gnarly stuff and to real mountains, then 180 F&R. 180F and 160R was not enough in Provence.


I don't mean to sound argumentative, but Hope brakes are more expensive than XT brakes RRP in the UK. The gap widens even more if you take into account the discounts available on Shimano stuff. No one seems to offer more than 10% off Hope stuff.

The Tech Evo 2 brake has an RRP of £125 in the UK, excluding rotors whilst the latest XT is £110 excluding rotors.

I run my XT brakes because they are effective and cheap...not pretty but they do the job very well. My old Saints were the easiest brakes I've ever had; four years on various bikes and nowt went wrong at all.

The spares availability for Shimano is rubbish though, but then a new calliper is so cheap, it's not too much of an issue. A new XT calliper can be bought for about the four pistons needed for my M4's.

What is great about Hope is that they still sell bits for brakes right back to the original Mini's and M4's as well as the Bulb hubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hope Brakes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
Last time I checked with my suppliers - a pair of Tech X2s was a better deal for my Danish punters than a pair of XTs. I don't usually use RRPs as point of reference, however and there will of course be regional price variations. Half the people who buy XT in Denmark get it from German discounters so the distributor has lower volume and higher prices. If I were to buy 2 calipers and a set of levers it would cost me as much wholesale as the Hopes do.

You don't see Hope discounted like Shimano as nobody uses it as OEM parts - probably because Hope know their core audience is the upgrade market so why spoil a good thing? Once people like Bike Discount, One One and soon start getting their hands on stuff and selling what they are supposed to be building bikes with to punters, then yes - you do sometimes see some very silly prices for Shimano stuff.

Even if they are more expensive in the UK, then it's still only a little more than XT for a product that has a quality that XTR doesn't even match. And don't get me started on SRAM brakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hope Brakes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 am 
98+ Moderator
98+ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 4098
Location: Single Speeding in the Capital of the FoD,UK
Here's a pic of my rather lovely looking tech evo stealth lever. Never get bored at looking at these :?


Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 229.19 KiB | Viewed 71 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group