Only one bike? What type? Which one?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I read something a while ago that if you only had one bike to do everything, probably a good all round cyclocross bike is all you should need. Maybe it was Charlie Bikemongers shop that said that amongst others.

What got me thinking was the fact that my fleet does not have a FAT bike or a 29er in it, and won't have for a while but I ticked off a good few niche bikes, just like you guys probs have, they are all rounders sort of but niched enough to be a compromise, and not what normal average people would choose ie a 27 speed MTB or road bike/hybrid for commute.

So just for interest/geeky fun some questions:

1. If you had to survive with just one bike doing everything you like to use a bike for which one of your current collection would it be?

2. If you ended up with NO bike again (theft/fire/bancruptsy/bad poker session) what one bike would you buy.

3. Finally, regardless of practicality, which one would you not be able to let go of?

If you think of another question in this series go for it!

I'll attempt to answer, might change my answers later! :LOL:

1. one practical bike?
Leaning towards my Genesis Day One, a Joy to ride though a bit silly having one gear! Compromise to off road but it will just about do it.

2. what one bike would you buy?

I think this would be a steel CX bike prob with gears something like a Genesis Croissant de Fer, pimped naturally! OR a good light 29er

3. Finally, regardless of practicality, which one would you not be able to let go of?

I used to think I'd struggle to sell any of my retro's but I'm not sure now I'd worry more about replacing them if it was a horrid mistake to sell, nice to get down memory lane trip now n then on lightweight and fun old sketchy MTB's. Saying that I aim to keep as many of them as long as possible, sooo... I really dunno. I'd eventually miss a good capable 26er such as my Cotic if 29ers don't tick all the boxes which I expect they wouldn't.

Hope the GF doesnt see this thread! :LOL: Public declaration I could trim to 1 or 2 bikes! Viva la variety! :?

difficult questions, given what most people would have in their arsenal/quiver/stable, whatever you like to call it!

here goes

1. If you had to survive with just one bike doing everything you like to use a bike for which one of your current collection would it be?

My Cove stiffee. it goes up, it goes down even better, and also makes a decent play bike, and is bombproof.

2. If you ended up with NO bike again (theft/fire/bancruptsy/bad poker session) what one bike would you buy.

santa cruz tallboy LT. nuff said. It can do it all!!

my 1993 Marin team titanium owned from new, and will always be owned by me, also for sentimental reasons. i worked and saved hard for that one.

=The Orange Prestige, great all-rounder for the sort of riding I do.

=Yeti ASR

=The Orange Prestige again, for sentimental reasons alone.

Great answers. It's not easy or straight forward is it, but rationalising is do able in theory at least.

I'd really dislike to lose my Orange Prestige, It's a great bike and the most effort i've put into building a retro, it just feels fragile compared to burly moderns. I agree though, Prestige or something like would be a great machine to keep, would tackle commutes with fun and still cut it off road.

1- My Orange 5.

2- I'd have a serious look at the Orange Gyro or the upcoming 140mm 29er they're testing.

3- Of my current slim fleet probably the 2007 Clockwork frame as it'd be hard to get another.

1. If you had to survive with just one bike:
1990 Marin Palisades Drop bar tourer conversion.

2. If you ended up with NO bike again:
26" wheel Hewitt Cheviot SE

3. Which one would you not be able to let go of?
1990 Marin Palisades Drop bar tourer conversion. 22 years of riding it on 4 continents. It's an old friend. :cool:

1. Cannondale Gemini. An almost perfect bike, it just works, probably the most complete bike I've ever rideen.

2. Cannondale Gemini. Same set up as above.

3. I'd love to say the Lava Dome but the Marin goes back a long way. It's like a comfy old chair.

1) Singular Hummingbird, probably single speed but with an 8 speed Alfine option. As a rigid 69er, naturally.
2) As above (if I could find one).
3) My 1988 Kona Explosif, because I've had it so long and it always brings back memories of some good racing times in the late 80's and early 90's.

Fun stuff but needs bit of thought

1. Split between my commencal meta am and my surly pugsley (my purple one I have had for a long time)

2. Def a 4-6" travel maybe a yeti for a change or a specialized stump jumper

3. My 1991 Scott pro racing I have had since I was 13. It's looking a bit sad at the moment no being built

It's actually quite difficult, I must stop building them :oops:

Back