Will This Rotor Fit Straight Onto A Hope Big Un ?

heavyp

Retro Guru
(Now I Know What Brakes I Have)

Just bought an older 1999/2000 Giant ATX DH Team and it has Hope hubs laced to d321's so there a bit old but not original was just curious if anyone knew what I had here I think its a bit of a mismatch but yeah I need a new rear lever but am thinking of getting rid of the whole lot and getting something a bit better.

I hate the style of the hub and the disc sounds strange but I prefer the hope hubs like a bulb or big un that had the spider build into the hub.
main.php

main.php

Can I replace anything on this hub to look like this ?
hope%20xc%20rear%20hub%2007.jpg

It's a Hope C2 Brake with the Sport lever, the hub may well be a Bulb as I'm sure they too used a spider to affix the disc! You can use any disc hub as the spacing has all thankfully stayed the same in that area.

The rear hub could also be a sport, which was the model below the bulb. They definitely did two hubs that required a spider to mount the discs.

A set of Big Uns would look ace on that. In red obviously.

Although the C2's are Eric's correct, they're not that great in my view and I think those levers are minging (I used to have them and thought they were nice until I got some pro levers). How about swapping hem for a set of DH4's or E4's? They both ran the pro lever.

My E4's were the best Hope brakes I ever had...much better than the M4'son the Tazer which are just pants. They also could be had with five bolt rotors so will work with original Bulbs and Big Uns.

The hub that you've posted a picture of, is that what's on the bike or what you want to use? It looks like an XC hub to me, the bulbs are much fatter nearest the cassette than that. They also have a silver cassette body which is ali rather than steel which was black.

I run the old bulbs on my Tazer and they're great, apart from needing a five bolt rotor.

Yeah ill do away with these, i used to run m4's and loved them best looking and feeling lever ive ever used 1 finger was all you needed.

Yeah I dont like the 2 piece disc at all looks awful, The pic i posted was just reference as I want a 1 piece hub and 1 piece disc.

My old wheel set and the best I have ever tried even better than d521 and d321 were sun mammoths laced to bulbs and m4 brakes bombproof was an understatement.

Looks like i next post will be in the wanted section

If memory serves me right you will have issues in replacing/upgrading the rear brake as the ATX DH mount was specific to the Hope C2 No1 caliper, an IS caliper simply won't fit mate

retrocomeback":155f1s0n said:
If memory serves me right you will have issues in replacing/upgrading the rear brake as the ATX DH mount was specific to the Hope C2 No1 caliper, an IS caliper simply won't fit mate
And that front mount- is it no 3 IS or summat funny? It looks a bit odd.

suburbanreuben":346bm4si said:
retrocomeback":346bm4si said:
And that front mount- is it no 3 IS or summat funny? It looks a bit odd.

It's a Boxxer mount. There should be DH4's and E4's knocking about for this mount.

Having seen the additional photos on the other thread please ignore my above comment about the rear No 1 caliper mount, yours is the first ATX DH I've ever seen with an IS rear mount, lucky you! Also, that black shock of yours looks like a pre production Rock Shox 'Black Box' part to me, is it possible this is an ex Giant Team bike?

retrocomeback":40dd1asn said:
Having seen the additional photos on the other thread please ignore my above comment about the rear No 1 caliper mount, yours is the first ATX DH I've ever seen with an IS rear mount, lucky you! Also, that black shock of yours looks like a pre production Rock Shox 'Black Box' part to me, is it possible this is an ex Giant Team bike?

Nah the blackbox rear shock is from one of the old global tram riders bikes I wrote a little story about it on the bike posted in the readers bike , got it off ebay for 100 buks cant say who the rider was incase i got them in trouble have been told its property of rockshox and cost 7500 to produced but i took it to rockshox at the worlds in 2009 and they didnt mind me having it so seems fair to me and its a piece of history just a shame no one will service it for me

Back