Simplest replacement for rear shock on '99 FSR

ZeeSaffa

Dirt Disciple
Looking for some advice please.

I have a '99 FSR Enduro. All bits have been upgraded on it (by previous owner)... apart from suspension.
I'd like to bring it up to date a bit and improve the ride but I can't spend a lot on it.

Firslty, I'm looking at getting some (used) RS Reba 120mm forks upfront.

Before I do - I need to understand what my options are for the rear shock.
The original shock is a "Rock Shox Deluxe, 4.3" travel" & i2i is 160mm.

Is it possible to get a basic up-to-date shock replacement without having to get all the linkage from BETD?

Apologies by the way for stupid questions... I'm a novice when it comes to these things :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00887.jpg
    DSC00887.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 895
I checked TF Tuned website and it doesn't look like they do the bushings for the RS Deluxe. Ill give them a call to confirm.

Has nobody else done a basic shock swap on this frame?

I'd be grateful for any advice that can point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Ill try one last time here because it doesn't seem like I'm having much luck so far :(

There are plenty of options for shocks with a 165mm i2i.

Can I fit one of these?
If so - how would that affect the bike?

You can fit them.

How will it affect the bike?

Hard to say, if the new shock is softer than the old one then the rear end will be softer, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If the new shock is harder than the old one, the rear end will be harder
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I had an X-Fusion Gylde rear shock on mine and a Fox Vanilla but i broke them, so its currently using a RS Deluxe, it works OK and it has not broke yet, so i am in no hurry to change it.

Thanks! :)

Would it have any negative effect on the geometry & handling of the bike?
If not - why do people spend £100+ on the BETD linkage?

I think people spend that money on th elinkage to get more travel from the bike but from the same dimensions (same shock etc. just different leverage).
There are a few 165x38 shocks around, give them a try. Air has a bit more adjustability but it ramps up as it goes through the travel (get stiffer). Coil has a bit more of a linear feel (feels same all teh way through its travel). So based on that you may be able to choose, coil is good to once you have the right setup.

Thanks!

I removed the old shock and noticed that if I moved the linkage an extra 5mm to accomodate a 165mm shock - then the coil on my current shock touches the linkage.
So, I'll need to make sure the new shock is slimmer.
The manufacturers websites don't give much info on the dimensions of each shock.

I've been looking at this one btw:
http://www.xfusionshox.com/product/shoc ... -rl.html#2

Also, do most shocks come with a variety of different sized bushings so that they can fit your frame?

The gap in the frame for the top of the shock is about 30mm and the bottom in the linkage is 40mm.
I managed to get the bushings out the bottom of the shock but not the top.

(I have read a few idiots guides to buying shocks but still finding this a challenge. Says it all really... :-S )

X fusion are very good at the moment. I used to have an 02 and it was a superb budget shock. With an air shock you can mount the stanchion (skinny part) downwards so would touch the linkage.
Hardware you willl most likely have to measure up and buy from crc or ebay etc.

Looks like the O2 RL isn't sotcked anywhere anymore in a 165mm :(
I'll keep looking for something saimilar.

I guess TF Tuned will also be able to do all the mount kit stuff if I can't find what I need on ebay?

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm feeling a lot more confident now :)

Type in '165 shock' on ebay search and also include international sellers.
Yeah tf tuned will have pretty much most things if you cant find them cheaper elsewhere etc.

Back