L&M Downhill cranks are they strong?

Hidden Jitsu

Old School Hero
Just found a set of L&M Downhill crankhey are square taper and was
wondering if they are strong compared to cranks of this day and age?

They are lovely cranks and was wondering if to get them re-anodised
and put them on my Balfa project of buy splined cranks?

I was going to buy middleburn square taper cranks but would it be pointless now i have these?

Depends how big your going. They are strong but todays cranks are stronger but also they are pushed harder.

cyfa2809":qeyapi9d said:
Depends how big your going. They are strong but todays cranks are stronger but also they are pushed harder.

Well they will be going on my Balfa also i'm not exactly light.
Also i will only be rididng every other weekend , the square taper is putting
me off though

They'll take a beating I reckon, just keep an eye on the crank bolts.

I've been riding since '96 and don't think I've ever bent a set of cranks. They only pair I ruined were some square taper ones which came loose and got rounded off.

i sold these cranks in a shop in the mid to late 90's, the DH cranks were ok but the XC versions used to crack, they were basically the same design but the XC versions had big cnc cut outs in the back of the arm, the problem being that they machined in too far.

but the XC versions used to crack, they were basically the same design but the XC versions had big cnc cut outs in the back of the arm, the problem being that they machined in too far.

Indeed, my XC ones snapped clean through the middle of the drive side arm due to cracks I had not noticed...

DH ones were basically not machined at all from memory? weight a lot more but stronger

Back