Anyone riding a Genesis hardtail?

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Picked up my new bike on the weekend, a 2011 Genesis Latitude for a bargain price from my LBS. Only ridden it for a quick blast but have the new bike fuzzy feeling :D . Been wanting a modern 120mm steel hardtail for a while, and whilst it's not up there with the like of Cotic it's still a decent starting place and has a great feel to it.

No real point to this thread :LOL: but to share my enthusiasm and ask if anyone else is riding one? I'll post it in the +98 bike section when I get around to taking some photos.

having owned Genesis, cotic, Pipedreams etc I would say they are not worlds apart.

I loved my Genesis iO despite its relatively humble tube set, and I'm really enjoying my Genesis Fortitude :cool:

Get a couple of pics up then :p

I currently ride a Genesis iO but with the 725 tubes...and it is brilliant! And I am comparing it to many high end steel bikes I have owned

Love my Day One, and also got a rigid forked fix geared old IO, the build is a bit daft to actually enjoy but it seems a great frame, looking forward to SSing it properly and trying trails.

Saw one of these in Evans a few weeks ago and thought ....Hhmmm... thats a nice looking bike :cool: looked like a "proper bike"
Have come across half a dozen or so on the last couple of rides round surrey hills way, one guy i spoke to liked his steel one so much he went out a bought a ti one as well :shock: , good to see some nice steel framed bikes back in a mass market shop again !!

Mick :)

reanimation":2ytzwyqj said:
Love my Day One, and also got a rigid forked fix geared old IO, the build is a bit daft to actually enjoy but it seems a great frame, looking forward to SSing it properly and trying trails.

I don't know about you but I found those Genesis rigid forks to be brutally stiff, compared to something like Salsa or Singular. And heavy too.....

Andy, do you mean the forks on the iO? :) mine came without and I'm running DMR Olly Wilkins Light DJ forks, so far great but I really wanna try them on a trail or fast on the road/track. My 20mm trailblades were tank like but never twisted at all! :D So we'll see. The originals from genesis maybe were not posh. Salsa and Singular are they good, do they track well but offer some vibration and bump damping?

The Day One slim tapered straight blade forks flex a bit but work well.

reanimation":rfs4q7aj said:
Andy, do you mean the forks on the iO? :) mine came without and I'm running DMR Olly Wilkins Light DJ forks, so far great but I really wanna try them on a trail or fast on the road/track. My 20mm trailblades were tank like but never twisted at all! :D So we'll see. The originals from genesis maybe were not posh. Salsa and Singular are they good, do they track well but offer some vibration and bump damping?

The Day One slim tapered straight blade forks flex a bit but work well.

Yes, the iO forks are what I meant - I used them for a little while on a Kona frame but found them far too harsh and unforgiving (and I was raised on rigid forks...). By comparison Salsa Cromotos and and the Singular forks that I have on my Hummingbird are in a different league, as no doubt, would something like Vicious Cycles forks (they'd be in a different league price-wise too though).
So my choice for 26" wheels) would be Salsa unless money was no object. The Singular forks are all designed for 29" wheels, with offset greater than would be normal for a 26" wheel - 55mm rather than something like 38mm.

Forks make a big difference, will consider those in the future. I'll see how the DMR OW's get on with the trails soon enough...

:)

Latest posts

Back