Recommend a road bike

apache

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've ridden MTBs since their appearance in the UK, but over the last few years, the local trails seem to spend a good length of time under water, so I spend a bit of time on the roads wearing down my knobblies (ooer!) on bikes under geared for tarmac.

This year, I'd like to get my hands on a reasonably priced road bike so I can cover the miles a bit more efficiently. I'm looking for something with fairly relaxed angles - I'm not a racer - and at 47 and a bit over fighting weight, something with a range of gearing suitable for hills also as I live in the Malverns.

I know NOTHING about road bikes, so I'm at your mercy. 2nd hand is good too as during the warmer drier weather I probably wont use it a whole lot.

I'll probably have a few MTBs to sell or swap - a Proflex with Vectors (too small for me) and 'something else' TBD!

Cheers!

I've never really get on with racers at all but like the classic XC racers, its a compromised bike born out of emulating pro racer riders bikes. I got looking at cylocross bikes and set up and I've enjoyed a single speed cromo Genesis Day One flat bar, and I almost prefer it to some MTBs due to tall and short TT geometry, angles are relaxed too like a tall classic XC bike. If I had budget I'd look at their geared bikes or road bikes. Alternatively a good fast hybrid isnt bad, have a look at Giants range for starters.

Depending on your budget, a Dawes Audax or Giant SCR could be a good starting point - they are slightly slower handling and more stable and have a more comfortable upright riding position. However, they are still lighter and more sprightly than a full-on tourer like a Dawes Galaxy, which is stable (especially when loaded) but as a result handles like a bus.

In my view, hybrids are jacks of all trades, but are not strong enough for anything off-road and not fast enough for an efficient all day ride. Their main appeal seems to be for people who are frightened of drop bars...

Giant SCR looks good - plenty on eBay around the £200 - £300 mark. Right, will polish up a few bikes in the next couple of weeks and see if I can raise some cash! :)

I was in the same boat and picked up a Specialized Allez from a forum member. Really comfy to ride and feels fast to me.

Looks pretty smart as well. They do it as a triple as well so hills aren't too bad, sadly my one is 52/39 up front :cry:

Going to go triple though as the old legs can't handle that gearing on big hills.

I was in a similar boat and decided to build up my first road bike about a year ago, spending about £600 doing so.
Wish I'd done it five years ago tbh, road geometry and drop bars have been life-changing for me. Wouldn't even consider a Hybrid, personally.
I'd perhaps give consideration to a geared CX bike like a Kona Jake or Honky Tonk though, they're such versatile things now.

Have a look at the LeMond in my signature if you like, that was an easy and fun build resulting in a bike that feels like new, tailored to me.

apache":2hrnorib said:
Giant SCR looks good - plenty on eBay around the £200 - £300 mark. Right, will polish up a few bikes in the next couple of weeks and see if I can raise some cash! :)

Pal of mine has used one as a commuter for the past 8 years, now done 50,000 miles or so. Predictably the drivetrain and wheels are long worn out, but te shifters, headset and BB are still going strong.

Another mtb'er turned roadie, in my case to further improve my fitness and because having persuaded my roadie fanatic son onto mtb's, I was forced to reciprocate.

I bought a Raleigh rolling chassis from a forum member which I completed for a few hundred pounds. It has race geometry, so it not a particularly relaxing ride (but great fun), which is why I started to look at the Genesis Equilibrium. It has much more 'sportive' (relaxed) geometry and the manager of my LBS (who I have known since he was 11) really rates it and rides one himself.

Back