Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

To get on the Groovy Build list before it closes

That is one week left to subscribe and 8 years to safe money and change plans again and again :wink: :D

http://www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.nl ... -year.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 am 
Old School Grand Master

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. 8 years ... get some employees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 am 

Raging_Bulls wrote:

"some employees" can build you a generic bike, only Rody can build you a Groovy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 am 
Retro Guru

Raging_Bulls wrote:

I won't be ordering one, that's for sure - eight f*cking years :?: :?:
How can anyone consider waiting that long to have a bike frame built - it is, as Raging Bulls said, ridiculous.

Maybe Rody should expand into custom chainrings and sprockets too - there must be a suitable niche market here? Go on a ridiculously long waiting list and then decide that you don't want/need the item long before you ever get it.

Oh, hang on - Dan at HBC already has this sewn up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 am 

Andy R wrote:
Maybe Rody should expand into custom chainrings and sprockets too - there must be a suitable niche market here? Go on a ridiculously long waiting list and then decide that you don't want/need the item long before you ever get it.

You really don't get it do you???? maybe get some better info before you make statements and comparisons like those.......
Sure you don't want to wait so long, so don't bother typing nonsense. .....
Lots of people do, so hence the 8 year waiting list........oh, and this doesn't mean you have to live without a bike in the meantime .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

a lot can happen/change in 8 years!!?? death, marriage, unemployment, divorce, babies.......................

i wouldn't wait eight years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 am 

tintin40 wrote:
a lot can happen/change in 8 years!!?? death, marriage, unemployment, divorce, babies.......................

i wouldn't wait eight years.

http://www.groovycycleworks.com/Pages/TheBuildList.aspx

" Want to secure a place in line...a deposit of 20 dollars locks you in.
Current wait list time is a long time...86 months to get started on your frame order."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am 
Retro Guru

It seems the guy has a job a,d only does this as a labour of love/when he has the time...if he has an 8 year waiting list there must be a demand for his stuff, maybe go onto it full time ?

I do agree though a lot can happen in 8 years, mind you it's only 20 dollars down....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm 
Retro Guru

yo-eddy wrote:
Andy R wrote:

You really don't get it do you???? maybe get some better info before you make statements and comparisons like those.......

What I certainly don't get is that any bicycle frame on this planet can be good enough to justify an eight year wait in order to own it. I like nice stuff as much as the next man but some of it does get a bit "kings new clothes" in my opinion. In other words, because you've paid a shed load of money for it and had to wait years and years to get it then it must be vastly superior to the old crap that we plebians ride around on.
And, before you accuse me of talking even more rubbish, I'm not saying that you personally hold that view nor am I suggesting that Rody doesn't build nice stuff. What I am suggesting is that the wait is part of the "allure" and that if it was only an eight month wait for the exact same item some of the mystique would be lost.

You obviously missed the little "winky" smiley after my HBC comment, otherwise you'd have realised that it wasn't a completely serious comparison - however, there are comparisons to be made in that I was prepared to wait several months for some some small items of nicheness and I realise that most people wouldn't have done that either. "How long, for a couple of chain rings - four months???".

We're all just "niche whores" at the end of the day, I suppose....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

Andy R wrote:
yo-eddy wrote:
Andy R wrote:

What I certainly don't get is that any bicycle frame on this planet can be good enough to justify an eight year wait in order to own it. I like nice stuff as much as the next man but some of it does get a bit "kings new clothes" in my opinion. In other words, because you've paid a shed load of money for it and had to wait years and years to get it then it must be vastly superior to the old crap that we plebians ride around on.
And, before you accuse me of talking even more rubbish, I'm not saying that you personally hold that view nor am I suggesting that Rody doesn't build nice stuff. What I am suggesting is that the wait is part of the "allure" and that if it was only an eight month wait for the exact same item some of the mystique would be lost.

You obviously missed the little "winky" smiley after my HBC comment, otherwise you'd have realised that it wasn't a completely serious comparison - however, there are comparisons to be made in that I was prepared to wait several months for some some small items of nicheness and I realise that most people wouldn't have done that either. "How long, for a couple of chain rings - four months???".

We're all just "niche whores" at the end of the day, I suppose....

Think it works both ways, lots of people want a Groovy and so the list grows..... I had no waiting time at all when I had my first Groovy build and would certainly not have waited 8 years, because I needed a bike to ride back then :D
But if you don't "need" a bike to ride and you like the man's work why not drop down 20bucks and forget about it until the time is there. He's fair and honest about the waiting time and not after your money. Most likely one of the most honest, altruistic and special persons I've met in my life.

And no, it's not always better to have a custom bike build but his stuff is pretty special imho ....... and as you say "we're all just ni............. :D