Compact road cranks 50/34 question

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a set Shimano Hollowtech II cranks [FC-R700] with the standard 50/34 chainrings.....but they won't give me quite the gears i would like.....How would 49/36 work.....i use downtube shifters with a 9 speed cassette....in index mode.....The front mech is a Shimano Ultegra and the rear mech is Shimano 105 both 9 speed versions.......If i change what would be better TA or Stronglight Zircal rings...or are jusr as good?.....Any advice would be appreciated.

Some front mechs will not like the 7t difference, and you would have to mount the mech higher - with worse shifting :(

Personally I prefer TA rings, because the standard of finish is gorgeous. But Stronglight rings are good too.

hamster":36wi598p said:
Some front mechs will not like the 7t difference, and you would have to mount the mech higher - with worse shifting :(

Personally I prefer TA rings, because the standard of finish is gorgeous. But Stronglight rings are good too.

7T?...Currently the difference is 16T.....if i had a 49/36 set up the difference would be 13T which would be the same if i had a 53/39 set up on 130 bcd cranks?......or am i missing something.....resulting in me staying with 50/34?

Sorry, the dangers of retrobike after wine... :oops:

Try it and see, I ran a 29/42 Middleburn Duo with a Campagnolo Record road mech very successfully.

Latest posts

Back